Catheter Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catheter Problems

I just had an appointment with my neuro and he did another urine retention test. My bladder was quite distended and I retained 2 cups of urine. He put me on catheters but I am having difficulty with them.

I think they are too big because they hurt and it hurts for hours after I am done. They are #12. Also, most of the time nothing comes out so I don't know if the test was a fluke or if I am using the catheter wrong. I know it is going into the right place.

My gait was also worse and I have lost 20 pounds but I didn't have any new lesions. I just feel something is wrong. Any advice on the catheter?

Hi,

Sorry you're having to resort to a catheter, but a lot of us have, whether it was temporarily or permanently, had to use catheters.

Maybe the mods will move your post over to the Ladies Room, I think you'd get more answers there. Also I did a quick search, and so you know you're not alone, here's a thread about problems with a catheter.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...light=catheter

I think urologists do better helping with catheters than a neuro. Hopefully you were taught how to use one, but you should feel free to call them back and tell them you're having issues, or go back in for more instructions. Here again, I think a urologist would be much more sympathetic to your plight.

There are soooo many types of catheters now, but it's a matter of trial and error to find the right one. Once you master the technique and have your questions answered about why you aren't getting any relief with the catheter now and why it hurts, then it's time to go "shopping" for the right catheter for you.

Unfortunately, I found that even urologists aren't especially helpful when it comes to this. However, you will get lots of help from the medical supply sites online. They will often send you "samples" to try at no charge. You can tell them what kind of problem you're having and they can make suggestions.

You don't need a prescription to buy from them, but the catheters are relatively inexpensive if you buy from a medical supply...once you decide on what's best for you, then you can use your insurance company to pay for them, if they're covered under your insurance plan.

Google "free sample catheter" and you'll pull up a lot of companies that will send you sample packs. If the 12FR is bothering you, order a 10FR. I had to use catheters for a period of time and my favorite was the Speedicath by Coloplast, because it was the quickest and easiest to use. Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover them, but I paid out of pocket. I later understood why the insurance wouldn't pay because the medical supply they used charged $14 per catheter, when I could buy the same catheter online, private pay, for less than $2.00. So if you have to private pay, do some price shopping.

Hang in there, take a deep breath, and know you can figure this out...it just might take awhile.

Once again though, first on my agenda would be to get a nurse at a neurologist or urologist to help you figure out why you're having the problems you're experiencing now. A twinge from self cathing might be normal, but the kind of pain you're describing shouldn't be happening.

P.S. one more little bit of advice...if why you're learning you cause yourself pain, try sitting on an ice pack for 20 minutes and see if it doesn't help with the pain.

Comment

Catheters are difficult at first but it's a great relief to be able to get the urine out. This topic should be in the secretive room but I will try to help you.

The catheters were very painful for me, too, at first. The urologist gave me size #14 reusable. I insisted that I get single use catheters and that helped. Also, it is important to choose one that has polished eyelets because that is what causes the pain. I'm using Cure catheters #12 now and it works well. You may want to try a #10, but it would take a long time for the flow to come out. If you are retaining 2 cups it takes awhile. I retain 1100 ml. That is over a quart.

If you are not getting any urine out the answer is obvious. I had a nurse a the hospital who couldn't get any urine out and she asked, "when was the last time you cathed?" I laughed because my bladder was bursting. She was a trained nurse and she couldn't get it right.

The answer is, the opening to the female bladder is at the front of the opening to the vagina. If no urine comes out you know it went into the vagina. I hope this isn't too graphic for the gentlemen. If you angle the catheter forward as you put it in, you should get the right place. It takes practice and, eventually, you will be able to tell by the way it feels. I wish you luck and please write back if you need any more help.

Comment

Thank you all for your help with this. It is going better now even though I hate having to do this.

Comment

Working...
        X