Study of fasting to reset immune system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Study of fasting to reset immune system

I found this study about periodic fasting pretty interesting (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0605141507.htm). I not going to try fasting for a few days just yet since I like to eat too much but it will be interesting to hear about immune system results in human trials.

Thanks bike chik for passing along this most interesting article.

Comment

I read that same article/study and found it very interesting. I've fasted for a day or two at a time for years long before my MS dx, primarily because I had an interest in Eastern culture, and also for weight control, things I thought were compatible, a possible link to wellbeing.

Hope to see more extensive studies on the subject.

Comment

I haven't embarked on a multi day fast yet. But after doing week juice cleanses I have to feel that it would make you feel great.
        1995-symptoms with no cause
        2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
        2000/1-started Avonex
        2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
        Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

As regularly as I used to fast before MS, I now have weakness and other MS'y type sx's if I wait too late in the day to eat something.

I'm curious if a warm clear broth type fasting routine might work for me. Also if anyone has suggestions for fasting, particularly anyone else who like me, feels MS related 'unwell' when fasting.

Comment

I follow the 5/2 diet after a BBC reported demonstrated its benefit on the body. in a nutshell, when thr body fasts instead of replacing cellsnit repairs them. This is beneficial in a small dose.

5/2 is quite easy and I think many MSers can cope well with it.

Comment

Fasting and cancer

I have a cancer patient whom I put through a fasting routine this past year during chemotherapy.
              I have read a great deal about the purported benefits and felt at the least she would benefit from appetite and nausea problems commonly associated during chemo.

She benefited greatly in terms of GI discomfort.

As far as white blood cell count; I have for years implemented an immune boosting protocol during chemo and in 100's of patients never failed to get their white cell count back up....for another round of chemo.....yuk!

My opinion I think this is exactly right during chemo. Reduced GI problems and accelerating apoptosis, programmed cell death, biochemically makes a lot of sense to me.

MS? Idk -apoptosis isn't necessary and enhancing the immune system?? is the exact opposite of the DMRD's.
              (not saying I agree with those-my opinion)
              NutritionTara
              Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Given all the recent evidence, it really is quite evident that MS is not down to an overactive immune system, those where the theories several decades ago when so little was known about this disease. In fact, ive never heard from MS patients with blood cells through the roof due to an overactive immune system.

If not, look at one of the most succesful DMDs to date..Tecfidera. It has no immune modulating effects, instead it works against oxidative stress...

But, each to their own, especially when it comes down to DMDs.

Comment

Working...
                X