Neuro retiring - cognitive empathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuro retiring - cognitive empathy

Last week, my neuro informed me he is retiring. He started to explain that he is slowing down, takes longer to do tasks, is no longer the king of multitasking, etc.... Then he looked up and laughed, and said, of course you understand...how true. As he said though, his is the normal advancement of age, so he perfectly understands my frustration and feelings that MS has aged me. As he described his reasons, I could relate to each one. All I could think is that my brain is is at least 21 years older than it should be...
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Hi Kathy,

That sounds like one compassionate and empathetic neuro. Definitely a rarity in my experience. My very first neuro was kind of like that, but got married and moved to the other side of the state. I won't forget her. Best of luck finding another neuro.

I do get those types of comments all the time from my mother and some older family friends who don't really understand, though, and that is so frustrating. I know they aren't even thinking when they tell me how rough it is on their body to get old. Here my body is 30 + years younger than theirs and my body is already more worn out than theirs! Can't help but wonder where mine will be in 30 years!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Too bad you're losing one who understands, Kathy. I had a neuro who had MS! She was cognitively "sharp" and understood every little thing I was going through. Too bad she moved out of state.

Hope you can find another good one!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
      X