Where do you all get your gluten free low carb food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you all get your gluten free low carb food

Do you get it online, or at your local grocery? I C a lot of the low carb recipes call for "1/2 cup." I keep my "1/2 measuring cup" on the counter. Gee, for lunch I can have "1/2" cup gluten free pasta.
    Now I know that people with diabetes must deal with this differently. Hmm, do I want to spend the 1/2 hr a day I am awake on cooking 1/2 cup gluten free pasta? Hmm

I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP

I have been gluten free for three years and initially it was really hard. I do love to cook and that has been a help as most stuff you buy is really expensive and does not taste good. I know can make most things that I used to be able to eat. There is more and more stuff at health food stores and even local grocery stores.

If you want more specific answers, recipes etc...let me know. I even taught my first gluten free baking class and it went really well!

Christine

Comment

Marie, I have been gluten free since 2007/08 and it takes a bit of patience in the beginning. And maybe some planning too. I recently went on an elimination diet which removed gluten and corn. Since then I have been eating more millet (love it for breakfast with flax and blueberries) and quinoa. The millet has both fiber and protein. Also, check out Gluten Free Goddess on the Internet. She has some great blogs with yummy recipes! Have fun with it!

Comment

Originally posted by YogiOP View Post

If you want more specific answers, recipes etc...let me know. I even taught my first gluten free baking class and it went really well!
        How great! I would love a good GOOD g-f bread recipe! I have the Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread book and so far, hockey pucks

Comment

Gluten Free Myth

If you do not have celiac disease, gluten free diet has no benefit unless you need to get rid of money for more expensive food. Updated study released last week by researcher who published results a few years ago now says he was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by thelegendlc View Post
            If you do not have celiac disease, gluten free diet has no benefit unless you need to get rid of money for more expensive food. Updated study released last week by researcher who published results a few years ago now says he was wrong.
            Are you referring to Dr. Terry Wahl and the Wahl Protocol book?

Comment

Gluten Study

No, I am referring to a study by Peter Gibson, gastroenterologist in Australia published a couple of weeks ago. Google = "new gluten study" to find details.

Comment

I just read this story: http://www.alternet.org/food/new-stu...celiac-disease

Dr. Terry Wahl studied how dairy and gluten proteins specifically mimic other proteins in the body, including myelin, sending the immune system into overdrive, encouraging it to attack itself. Avoiding gluten in this case is about calming that response down. It's certainly worth trying, and going gluten-free doesn't have to be expensive -- you just avoid dairy, wheat and rye mainly.

Comment

There are studies showing a higher incidence of celiac with MS patients and the U. of MD has shown the existence of gluten intolerance. The sure way to know for YOU is to eliminate it 100% for about a month and then eat it and see what happens within the next three days- headache, fatigue, digestive upset will clue you in.

As for GF foods, most GF substitutes cost a lot and are not much healthier for you and your waistline. I rely on plantains to take the place of the starches. Watch out for GF products with potato or tapioca starch as the first two ingredients- they will give you the equivalent of a sugar rush. Chia and flax are good additions. The Bobīs brand products will help you.

Comment

I have heard that Trader Joe's has a great selection. I have noticed that the "GF" section at the normal supermarket is over priced. A lot of it doesn't even taste very good. Fresh veggies and fruits of course are naturally gluten free. Yes Bob's Red Mill has a lot of good healthy options. Unfortunately we are not near a TJ's however.

Comment

Store bought + Gluten free = Junk (THe majority of the time)

Be careful buying GF.
                      Make your own GF, that way you know what is in it.
                      Take crackers for example, the #1 cracker if glutinos. Why? because it is starch starch and starch, no nutritional value just sugars and fat.
                      Mary's gone crackers is rated low, why? because it is all grains and no oil. But guess what the pretzels snap and taste good for when you want to be bad.
                      But don't go having gluten free pasta every night, that will get you no where as your blood sugars will spike

Sorry for the rant

Where do I buy my gluten free, low carb foods?
                      The local farmers market!
                      Spinach, kale, swiss chard which are the main component of a lot of our meals.
                      beets, radishes, carrots, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, squashes of all shapes and sizes, seet potatoes, even some parsnips and tunips for your carb fix grown local with no pesticides!
                      Heck I even picked up some fava beans, now i have to figure out how to prep them to be cooked!
                      We have a local guy that has all these exotics that are staples in africa and asia, we usually pick up something different each week and figure out how to use it,

Eating really well takes time, a lot of time, it is not as expensive as people say it is. I have rarely found broccoli to cost more per pound than chicken and it is a lot more nutritious!

Good luck, eat well, and LIVE every day!
                      1995-symptoms with no cause
                      2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                      2000/1-started Avonex
                      2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                      Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Working...
                      X