heat and spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heat and spasticity

Hi, I was just curious, can heat bring on spasticity? I am heat intolerant. My body becomes very fatigued when hot. I noticed today while trying to walk down stairs (I had been out in the heat for a while and walking was more cumbersome) that my legs were more difficult to bend.......it didn't hurt though. I never thought that heat could bring on spasticity? thanks in advance!
    dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Mine gets triggered by both heat and cold (intolerant to both). My body is so stupid!

Comment

thanks, I never associated heat with spasticity. I have had trouble with heat for several years.....I always said my legs get "wonky" in the heat but it never occurred to me that spasticity might also be in play. I take a small dose of baclofen daily but I am thinking I will have to talk to my neuro about increasing my dose.

Comment

My spasticity is triggered more by cold and/or humidity. Heat makes me all noodly and weak.

Comment

It was 91 degrees

here today - my legs were very stiff!

Comment

Thankful for posts

Newly-diagnosed, first experience with heat and thought I was imagining things. Really shocked and disappointed to realize how quickly it could affect me. Spasticity far worse and no energy whatsoever. Came here for reassurance and found it.

Denise

Comment

Originally posted by football-mom View Post
              My spasticity is triggered more by cold and/or humidity. Heat makes me all noodly and weak.
              This is exactly what happens to me. In cold, my legs are stiff ( I have a baclofen pump but they still stiffen up.) Heat, well, it becomes a matter of I need to sit down before I fall down. My legs go weak and trembling in the heat.

Everybody's different though, and reacts in different ways to temperature.

Comment

thanks for all your replies! Humidity is evil!!! and I am thinking that my spasticity in my legs is triggered by it...........but my legs also become weak and tired. I have a cooling "vest" that wraps around my torso but I am going to be getting a true cooling vest for more coverage!! Hopefully that will help!!!!! Loving today because it is only about 70 degrees!!!!!

Comment

Yes heat makes it worse for me. Kind of strange but the previous 3 years August is like clockwork bad pain...Fingers crossed this yea
                  First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

Doctor's interpretation of heat

I actually had an appointment with my Neuro the same week I had my first experience with heat/spasticity/zero energy. He listened to me as if hearing anything like this for the first time-and later told me I probably had the flu....
                    I'm not kidding.

Denise

Comment

Time to find a new neuro!

Hot weather makes me miserable my legs become spaghetti and wipes me out. I had an awful time today - tripped at store, busted my lip, chin, tore my jeans ripped my top and scraped my shoulder. Ouch!

You need to find a new neuro if he/she says you sound like your coming down with the flu. I travel 215 miles each way to Cleveland Clinic. All the neurologists in my city gave me ridiculous answers such as you got and didn't have much interest or patience with MS patients. One put me on Gilenya knowing I had high blood pressure and I ended up in the ER with a BP of 220/120. The ER doc told me I was on my way to having a stroke.

The newest doctor that has taken "Dr. Gilenya's place" has a waiting list - the first appointment was offered to me on December 29th. They took me off of Tysabri without checking any titers and despite the fact I was JCV negative.
                      Bottom line is that YOU have to be your best advocate and don't stop until you get someone that really listens to you.

BTW, I just purchased one of those cooling towels (Lowe's sells them) - I haven't tried it yet, but you wet the towel, snap it and it keeps you cool until it dries out and you can rewet it and it tucks around your neck to keep you cool. Hopefully that will help. I hate feeling like a prisoner in my own apartment just b/c its hot outside. Fortunately, (knock on wood) cold weather hasn't bothered me.
                      Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
                      It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

Working...
                      X