Please tell chills with copaxone is a temporary side effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell chills with copaxone is a temporary side effect

I am so frustrated. After 7 years of flu like symptoms on Avonex, I was happy to start a drug that advertises " no flu like symptoms". Really? Dose 4 I got malaria like chills and fever. Dose 5 same! My primary care said it was from the welts. I am 100 percent certain it is from copaxone as I am on every other day injections and this happened Monday and Wednesday 4 hrs after injection ! Has this happened to anyone else? Did it pass ?

Originally posted by CMRN View Post
    My primary care said it was from the welts.
    Hi CMRN,

I'm sorry to hear you are getting chills and a fever after your injections. I remember that all too well from the interferons.

A fever and chills from the welts???? The welts are pretty common initially, and usually become less of an occurence after about 4 months or so. A fever and chills are actually listed as less common side effects. http://www.drugs.com/sfx/copaxone-side-effects.html

Please contact your neurologist asap (I hope that's who prescribed it to you) and ask for his/ her guidance!

Good luck and please let us know what he/ she says!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you. I am going to ride it out for a bit. Last night's welt was much smaller than the previous ones. I did see fever and chills as part of the less common side effects. Lucky me! It felt exactly like the old Avonex days! I am hoping my immune system will stop having such a bad attitude!

Comment

Athough it's been three years since I've been using copaxone, I know if you accidentally tap a vein/blood vessel, you'll experience intense chills and often, to the point you'll want to call an ambulance. It's that bad.

Be very careful you only inject where you are supposed to.

Oh, the chills can last up to 45 minutes but then subsides and eventually stops.
        You know when it is coming on when your wrists start aching right after you took the shot.

Comment

I had a very difficult time with injectin site reactions. Even after rotating injections sites over 7 days, I couldn't inject again because of the swelling, site inflammation/redness, and pain, for the 3yrs I was on Cop.

I started with chills, in the fetal position, body aches and pain over several hours. Eventually my MS doc discontinued my Copaxone treatments.

I started on Cop when the 'reconstitute' formulation was available. The chills, fetal position with aches and pain seemed to start with the new fromulation in the pre-filled syringes.

I hope this latest reaction you are experiencing improves very soon. Good luck

Comment

Me too!

i just started Copaxone and since shot number 4 I have been dealing with a fever and terrible body aches. I have since taken 2 more shots and the side effect has continued. Between 2 to 6 hours after the shot my fever spikes and in between I am still running a fever.

At first I thought I might have had a uti. Tests normal on that front. I went to PCP and he could not find a reason for fever.

I am sorry you are going through this also, but it is nice to know I am not crazy in thinking it is the Copaxone. And yes, my neuro is going to get a phone call this morning.
            MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

Pre-medicated

My neuro suggested that I pre-medicate myself with tylenol 30 minutes before shot. I did that today and so far so good.

You should check with you doctor before doing this. I would not want to be giving you medical advise here as I do not know your full history.
              MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

So kind of you, artteacher
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Lots of veins, capillaries, etc.

Originally posted by Tide View Post
                  Athough it's been three years since I've been using copaxone, I know if you accidentally tap a vein/blood vessel, you'll experience intense chills and often, to the point you'll want to call an ambulance. It's that bad.

Be very careful you only inject where you are supposed to.

Oh, the chills can last up to 45 minutes but then subsides and eventually stops.
                  You know when it is coming on when your wrists start aching right after you took the shot.
                  I don't mean to divert attention from the original poster, but it is very hard to miss veins and capillaries. I always thought it would work to my advantage that I'm not skinny and have enough fat to cushion the injections "-), but really, I read that fat has lots of capillaries. I've been injecting for 4 yrs. I find it gets worse, not better. I can't inject my arms. The welts are huge and last for weeks. So that leaves me 5 legal injection sites. I am very careful. I use my fingers to find an area that isn't hard or sore. I inject manually. I still end up with some bleeding at the injection site. I haven't experienced chills, but wouldn't rule out the possibility.
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Genius!!!!!

I searched the web because I was having chills, muscle aches and vomiting that started on shot 5 of my Copaxone routine. 6th shot, the vomiting went away but the chills and body aches continued and I was desperate for relief. Found this thread and was so happy I was not alone, not only was I not alone, there was a recommendation for relief. I have had four more shots since, taken two Ibuprofen an hour before the shots and have had ZERO side effects since. @artteacher I could hug you and your neurologist!! I got a nasty welt at the injection site last night, but I put an ice pack on it for an hour and it's all good now. CMRN I hope you gorelief already, if not, try the Ibuprofen idea!!

Comment

Working...
                    X