Feels like legs are turning to stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feels like legs are turning to stone

Well the title says it all. If it wasn't for God, I think I would loose my mind.

Baclofen barely works.

Well, I think I will try to go to bed, I'm just rambling and not sure what exactly I wanted to talk about tonight.

Have you tried anything other than Baclofen? It just could be that it doesn't work for you.

Comment

I apologize if I sound uneducated.

What other meds treat spasticity? I will ask my neuro next visit if I can try something else.

Comment

Hi Jola,

This is from the National MS Society:

Managing spasticity

Because spasticity varies so much from person to person, it must be treated on an individual basis and demands a true partnership between the person with MS, physician, nurse, physical therapist and occupational therapist. Treatment begins with the physician recommending ways to relieve the symptoms, including exercise, medication, changes in daily activities or combinations of these methods. The physician will track the progress and make referrals to other health professionals such as occupational and physical therapists. Daily stretching and other exercises are often effective in helping to relieve spasticity.

Two major antispasticity medications have good safety records. Neither, however, can cure spasticity or improve muscle coordination or strength.

Baclofen, the most commonly used medication, is a muscle relaxant that works on nerves in the spinal cord. Common side effects are drowsiness and a feeling of muscle weakness. It can be administered orally or by an implanted pump (intrathecal baclofen). Intrathecal baclofen is used for severe spasticity that cannot be managed with oral medication.

Tizanidine (Zanaflex®) works quickly to calm spasms and relax tightened muscles. Although it doesn't produce muscle weakness, it often causes sedation and a dry mouth. In some patients, it may lower blood pressure.

Other, less commonly-used medications, include:

Diazepam (Valium®) is not a "first choice" drug for spasticity because it is sedating and has a potential to create dependence. However, its effects last longer with each dose than baclofen, and physicians may prescribe small doses of at bedtime to relieve spasms that interfere with sleep.

Dantrolene (Dantrium®) generally used only if other drugs have not been effective. It can produce serious side effects including liver damage and blood abnormalities.

Phenol —a nerve block agent

Botulinum toxin (Botox®) injections have been shown to be effective in relieving spasticity in individual muscles for up to three months.

Clonidine — still considered experimental
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...oms/Spasticity

Sometimes, a combination of medications is needed to help control spasticity.

Good luck,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank You Kimba,

Very informative read and answered some questions I had not asked.

God Bless You and MSWorld!
          STR

Comment

Jola,

Sorry to hear that you are not doing well.
            You are certainly in my prayers to find the relief you need.

Are you stretching and drinking enough water?

For me, Baclofen is working so far. I only can take it at night, so I am looking for relief in the day as well.

But my neuro asked me yesterday was I drinking enough water. And I found in talking with him that i am not drinking enough.

He told me that eating right, exercising, stretching, medicating and laughing are all important with people with MS, but the one thing he finds in some of his patients is that we don't drink enough water. Plain, simple, filtered out of our spicket, water(Im originally from Pittsburgh, lol). Some of you say faucet, lol.

And I looked at him and said I guess not. Turns out for me, I need at least six, 8oz glasses of water a day. He said three are easy to do .. one at every meal. The other two he said when I get up in the am and one before bedtime. He said the other one, drink it while you are driving somewhere, you wont even notice you had your quota for the day.

He said most people do not get enough and it was important to keep ourselves hydrated.

He also said to stay away from anything that had sucralose in it. To read my labels. You'd be surprised that sucralose is in almost everything. Even in flavored water. I used to drink Propel. Guess no more for me, lol ugh I really like the stuff and was drinking way too much of it.

I told him I will give it a try for two months and when I come back to see him, I will give him an update on how I feel with my spasticity.

I hope that I helped some. The knowledge on here is invaluable in that we all can help each other out and be here for each other.

God Bless you!
            STR

Comment

Originally posted by Strhuntrss View Post
              Thank You Kimba,

Very informative read and answered some questions I had not asked.

God Bless You and MSWorld!
              You're very welcome and thanks, Strhuntrss.

I'm so grateful for all I've learned here, and am just glad I could pass the info along!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
              X