No announcement yet.

Woman sues Georgia city over law banning sex toys, says they saved her marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woman sues Georgia city over law banning sex toys, says they saved her marriage

Source: nydailynews.com/news/national/ga-woman-sues-city-law-banning-sex-toys-article-1.1794549

Melissa Davenport says sex toys helped save her 24-year-old marriage after multiple sclerosis destroyed her nervous system and her sex life. The Sandy Springs ordinance only allows residents to buy sex toys if they have a prescription for them.

But Melissa Davenport, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, says the toys saved her marriage of 24 years after the disease destroyed her sex life, Atlanta's WSB reports.

MS attacks the central nervous system — where sexual arousal begins, the lawsuit explains.

"Sexual response, including arousal and orgasm, can be directly affected" by MS, the lawsuit says.

By 2003, the couple's sex life was nonexistent.

"It had started to really tear us apart," Davenport, 44, told the TV station. "The nerve pathways interfered with the nerves going to my intimate area to where I had no feeling."

Still, no doctor will prescribe them to her, she says.

"They have this dirty mind about how people are going to use it," Davenport says. "People really do need devices because they need it for health reasons and to have a healthy intimate life with their spouse."

The lawsuit includes a second plaintiff — Marshall Henry, an artist who uses sex toys in his work. Henry claims his artwork has suffered due to his inability to buy one of his materials.

Gerry Weber, the attorney filing the lawsuit, says the ordinance violates citizens' right to privacy.

"People have the right to decide for themselves whether these devices help their intimate life, and the government has no business being (in) the bedroom and second guessing that decision," he tells the TV station.

The city should file a response to the lawsuit by June.

Idealogs need to stay OUT of the bedroom

I CANNOT believe this!

I understand the conservative political/social ideology but isn't this completely hypocritical when they say they're about individual liberty??

She says it saved her marriage. Shouldn't everyone be in favour of that?

The only people who should be in the bedroom are those who consent. The fact that this was actually even brought up and then became law blows my mind.
    Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
    Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

Working...
    X