Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for memory and writing issues?

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone has any tips they can suggest for help with memory and writing issues?

I have a really hard time with remembering things including how certain words should be spelled,what I went into a room for and driving my family crazy by asking them the same question over and over again and not realizing it..

I will also be typing something or writing something when I will notice after I read it that I will find repeating words so instead of this

Hello, how are you?

it will be

Hello, how how are you?

I do not notice it when I do it and at first none of this really bothered me. But now it really does distress me quite a bit..:/

Does anyone have some advice or tips to make things easier?

I am going to my GP tomorrow for my first appt with her in over 4 yrs and am hoping she will give me a referral to a neuro for a recheck. Just recently got my insurance back so am hoping they can tell me something.

As of now..still undx'ed for MS but I do have Fibro and is soooo hard to figure out what symptom is from that..or what could be from something else...

Anyway..would be grateful for any advice...and thank god for spellcheck!..lol!

Rhonda
    Lounging in Limbo Land since 2003

Originally posted by Mrs_Forgetful View Post
    Hi!

Was wondering if anyone has any tips they can suggest for help with memory and writing issues?

I have a really hard time with remembering things including how certain words should be spelled,what I went into a room for and driving my family crazy by asking them the same question over and over again and not realizing it..

I will also be typing something or writing something when I will notice after I read it that I will find repeating words so instead of this

Hello, how are you?

it will be

Hello, how how are you?

I do not notice it when I do it and at first none of this really bothered me. But now it really does distress me quite a bit..:/

Does anyone have some advice or tips to make things easier?

I am going to my GP tomorrow for my first appt with her in over 4 yrs and am hoping she will give me a referral to a neuro for a recheck. Just recently got my insurance back so am hoping they can tell me something.

As of now..still undx'ed for MS but I do have Fibro and is soooo hard to figure out what symptom is from that..or what could be from something else...

Anyway..would be grateful for any advice...and thank god for spellcheck!..lol!

Rhonda

I don't have any tips for you, and i'm sorry for that. But I just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

I can't remember anything anymore. (Yeah I do have a tip)I did put dry erase board on my refrigerator. We got ours at Dollar General, but I'm sure Walmart has them too. So when something pops in my head I can write it down. And I have a little note pad that I carry with me when I'm out.

I have a hard time spelling words too, words that i knew by heart! I repeat words in sentence a lot myself, been doing that for years. Writing on paper and typing.

For Walking in a room and forgetting things I do that 10 to 15 times a day (stay at home mom). I do it when i'm in one room, I walk a few steps and forget what i was doing.

Spell check got me through my time in the Army, when I had to write a lot of memos and other stuff. But It wasn't that bad at the time.

I was wondering if you are on any medications? Some could make it worse.

Comment

Rhonda, I have similar issues as well. The forgetful thing is constant, the word thing (verbally and while typing) comes and goes. With respect to forgetfulness, the best thing I have found -- hubby got me an iPhone 4 for Christmas. Everything important goes in the calendar, plus I add two reminder alerts (and routinely depend on the last one because I may have forgotten again).

Verbal is worse for me. Conversation recall is awful. If one is important I write a note on my phone. With respect to my work I do or document everything in email.

After years lecturing my family on their mobile phone addictions, I've had to learn to carry mine with me all the time. Helpful too with aps, there are pill reminder apps, symptom log apps, and you can download dragon if it's an older phone and you have weakness or fine motor issues in your hand or hands.

My only other suggestion: if you haven't had a sleep study done , you should. Even those who think they are sleeping well sometimes aren't, and forgetfulness is a normal response to this.

Sorry you're going through this. It's embarrassing, in particular when you feel you have no excuse (limbo).

Forgot writing ... Mine is very messy now and I wear out fast -- I have no answer.

Comment

Same problem here

and I wish someone had an answer. I have legal issues related to my family that need to be resolved and I can't get the words together to properly explain it. Working with a lawyer is extremely expensive since they bill by their time.

Comment

I had the exact same problems but I would also have weird difficulty writing a letter. Or in correct order. Or even letters at all.

Smartphone + tablet saved my life. Use gmail/google acct and you can use the calendar and sync it with your phone.

Tysabri is working I did write had
          Like all my symptoms, still there but less. Now A LOT less
          Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
          Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

Working...
          X