Is this spascity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this spascity

I am having a new symptom and was wondering if this is spasticity. The feeling is kind of hard to describe. I am having increased weakness in my legs and something that feels a little like cramping, but not exactly. It is painful. My whole body is pretty much numb and has been for about 2 years, seems that maybe I can feel a little more of the pins and needles today.

I have never had pain with my MS other than the pin pricks, but last night was very uncomfortable, seems to be muscle pain. Have a little of this feeling in my arms and hands too. If I walk the weakness gets worse as well as the "cramping". I am a nurse and have had multiple patients with MS who have spasticity, but their legs and arms jerked uncontrollably, was an obvious spasm and I am not.

I have not had anyone describe what I am feeling. I have never had spasticity myself and was wondering if that could be what this is. I know electrolyte depletion can cause muscle cramps, but that's not it. My fingers and toes feel a little stiff also, it's hard to type this. Anyone felt this before?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

My spasticity prevented range of motion, and I'd get the jerking (clonus)...but that was years into when the symptom first started.

When I first had spasticity, I had it in my calf and it felt like I needed to stretch out my calf or achilles tendon. It got worse with movement, more crampy feeling and more pain.

I've heard spasticity feelings explained as imagining you have a bungee cord from your heel of your shoe to your waist, and when you're walking you have to work against the elastic bungee.

Next time you see your neuro, ask him if you have spasticity in whatever body part is bothering you. They can elicit spasticity by doing certain movements with your leg/arm etc.

As far as fingers and hands...I have spasticity in one arm/hand, because that hand will curl and want to tuck into my chest. I take oral baclofen for that, have a pump for my legs. But I don't have a feeling of stiffness in my hands. I work full time from home,and type a lot during the day,yet my hands don't feel tight to me. That may be because of the oral Baclofen I take, not really sure.

Best method to determine if you're dealing with spasticity is to ask your neuro, or have your neuro refer you to a PT and they also can evaluate your spasticity.

Comment

rdmc,

I too am having trouble with the spasticity. Painful and wanting to cry.

My range of motion is being compromised. Can't stretch the muscle spasms out.

Toes tuck under, later it grabs hold of the calf on the inside of the leg. One time last month it went up the thigh and I could not straighten the leg. Painful to straighten.

Laid flat on my back, legs straight out (after dh helped me) and didn't move a muscle. Scared it would come back.

Was tested yesterday for electrolyte deficiencies, None!

So, its baclofen to the rescue. I just hate the sedation effect. I feel like a zombie when I have to get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Hope they find a cure soon, too many sufferers out here.
      God Bless you praying for a pain free night.
      STR

Comment

Working...
      X