new symptoms 2 weeks after relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new symptoms 2 weeks after relapse

My wife has had treatment for her first relapse since being diagnosed.We recently had our second child.See has been very week and has had numb feet and legs for about 3 weeks.She has been treated with steroids but a week later no improvement and a new symptom.Her right arm now is heavy and weak.Is this another relapse?Today she starts steroids again.Doctors not saying much and she is very scared this means permanent disability.Shes only 28 years old and a mother of two.

Has anyone else had more symptoms after steroid treatment and what does it mean?

Unless 30 days of remission have gone by this would be considered a single flare. I've had increasing symptoms before, even after steroids. Sometimes the steroids create their own ugly symptoms as well. Steroids do not automatically shutdown a flare up. They rapidly reduce inflammation in attempt to prevent permanent damage and reduce the duration of the flare. They also take time to work. Even if her flare was untreated (no steroids) it doesn't mean permanent damage would be done.

A neurologist I recently talked wish suggested if the flare had flattened out after 2 weeks and you begin improvement the steroids have "worked." If after 2 weeks, the intensity of the flare up continues to worsen you need to get more help. At that point, some neurologists will extend steroid treatment potentially opting for a different one. If memory serves there are six different steroids available for flare treatments. Acthar gel is the only other flare treatment and it cost close to $30k/dose (5 days).

Her stress load needs to be reduced for her own good, plus the good of the children. If she will let you, please take charge of her care. Call her neurologist and determine what and when the next steps would be necessary. That will remove some of the uncertainty she is experiencing. Try to distract her the best you can with a movie, draw her a bath or whatever.

This is the time you ask people for help. See if your wife will be up for company of a family member or friend. If so, take the kids and give her a few hours of "peace." If she would prefer you there then try to get a babysitter for a few hours. Order dinner delivered or whatever you can reasonably do to help reduce her stress. Try to take on some of her household responsibilities so she doesn't worry about them piling up. What am I saying, you've been through two pregnancies with her. Just pretend she's 8 months pregnant and do whatever she wants you to do!

Please let us know if you have more questions ...

Comment

Working...
    X