Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bladder issues, difficultly starting urine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bladder issues, difficultly starting urine?

Okay so some good advice told me to start a new subject question on this. No lesions but neuro ophthalmologist suspects my inability to start urine to be ms related.

I basically sometimes frequently especially since march am having sever difficulty starting to urine and push to pee sometimes to the point of palpitations and a red face I mean as if I'm trying to pass bowels and/or constipated. it's just rediculous. Crying on the toilet praying to just start to pee.

What I need to know is first could this just be anxiety? Is this all in my head? Feels painful when I need to urinate and was treated three times for a UTI that wasn't a UTI, just a lot of WBCs in urine leading dr to believe it was an infection.

I do have an appointment with urologist first week of June. Does anybody by chance have anything similar to this? Not only is this an embarrassing issue it really does effect my life. And seems yet there's nothing wrong??

Very frustrating..

Thanks for any help.

Yes, that's typical

I have trouble starting and trouble keeping going (emptying fully), but also trouble NOT going if I'm not near a bathroom and have to hold it. I saw a urologist specialized in MS and she said that is typical for us. Here's what I use:
    --I catheterize a few times a day so I empty my bladder completely. It's such a relief! Please consider it. it's no scarier than a tampon.

--Detrol and Ditropan stop the urgency. There's a new drug on the market and I took it for only a month before my insurance decided not to cover it. Can't recall the name now.

--have you tried pushing down on your bladder with your fists? It's located just above your pubic bone. Helps you pee more when you know there's more but you're having trouble emptying.

This is one MS symptom that you can do something about! Good luck.

Comment

I have bladder hesitency due to a spastic bladder so taking Tizandine helps with that (and other spasticity). I also take Myrbetriq for overactive bladder. Both those have helped but relaxing also helps me a lot too.

Did your doctor do a microbial urine culture? The pain you describe doesn't match my experience with hesitancy and OAB. Some infections are resitant to certain families of antibiotics. Have you had other things like STDs ruled out?

Comment

No infections..

Also cleared by gyno. Urologist is my last resort. The pain is from having to pee. It's so intense when I have to and feel like even the littlest bit of urine I can still feel it in there. It's weird. I haven't been diagnosed but had no CLUE this could be related......

Comment

I experienced something like this starting last week and last week was when I went VERY low carb in my diet as in almost no sugar, no grains, no carbs other than fruits and veggies- Oh my- thought it was a UTI, have appt. with urologist next week. With the idea that the change in diet acidified the urine, I am eating beans, alkaline foods and decreasing the meat protein in my diet. Still avoiding most sugar. I figure it is worth a try since the change come on suddenly and in synch with the dietary changes.

Comment

Just chiming in to let you know you aren't alone. I experience the exact same thing. I call it constipated pee pee lol. I get so frustrated and cry when I'm trying to go. I go through times where I wake up 10 times or more during the night because I feel like I really have to go and once I'm in there I can't get it to start, or I get a few trickles and the flow will start and stop.

I had an ultrasound sound done where I had to have a full bladder coming in, they did the ultrasound, then I had to empty my bladder and they did the ultrasound again. I had 24 units, millimeters, something like that left after emptying. So I never fully empty my bladder. The weird thing is my doctor never did anything after the ultrasound. I'm just gonna talk to my neuro about it next month. My primary care physician is useless.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Comment

I struggled for two years with constant bladder pain, low back pain, urgency, frequency, and at times low output or hesitancy. I recently started Valium for this and am finally peeing like a normal person again. (File that under sentences I never thought I'd say).

My PCP says we will have to figure a long term solution out (he's not cool with permanent Valium, i guess) but for now I am really enjoying the relief. When I have to go, I go. It's a normal amount and it will be a normal amount of time before I have to go again.

I really hope you get some relief. This is a really maddening symptom.

Comment

I'm having a difficult time with the same thing. I've gone through the urodynamic testing. Urologist did not offer any treatment because treating the hesitancy/retention causes the urgency to be worse.

I do take a flexeril and magnesium before bedtime and that seems to help relax the bladder to go more freely.

I don't have the patience to sit there forever, but it does help to go, sit for a minute, go again. I do press on my bladder to help. Heck the other day I did jumping jacks to get my bladder to release!

I have had some success getting on my exercise bike for a few minutes, that seems to trigger the need to go.

These bladder troubles are truly my worst symptoms. I live life from bathroom to bathroom.

Comment

IsThisRealLIfe:
                  No lesions but neuro ophthalmologist suspects my inability to start urine to be ms related.
                  Without a diagnosis I would strongly suggest the problem with retention be investigated more. Retention can have causes other than MS.
                  http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseas...naryRetention/

If you are not diagnosed with MS I am rather confused why a neuro-ophthalmologist would even say your retention is MS related

Originally posted by IsThisRealLIfe View Post
                  I haven't been diagnosed but had no CLUE this could be related
                  For those with MS urine retention as well as other bladder problems can be related to MS.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

try stretching

I find that stretching helps the urine start flowing. While sitting on the toilet, I stretch my arms as high as I can and tuck my tailbone down. Then I either arch slightly backwards or stretch to one side. If I'm stretching to the side, I hold the wrist of my upper arm with the hand of my lower arm and hold the stretch until the urine starts to flow. Sometimes switching arms helps. I often stretch after urinating, too, to make sure I've emptied my bladder as much as possible.

Also, I've found that talking to my bladder helps. For instance, I'll close my eyes and tell my bladder that we're in a safe, clean space. Or, at bedtime, I'll tell my bladder that I don't want it or my kidneys to get an infection and that every part of my body would be really grateful if it emptied completely so that we can all get a good night's sleep.

Turning on the faucet so the water trickles out might help, too.

Comment

no pushing

Also, I think that trying to push the pee out might be making the problem worse.
                      The problem is that the two sphincters (muscles) in the urethra (one of which is under your conscious control and one that is not) are not relaxing. That is why stretching and using relaxation techniques may help.

Comment

bladder presses

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post

I do press on my bladder to help.

... .
                        I'm wondering if your doctor told you to press on your bladder? If I had a full bladder, I would be worried that I might push the urine back up my ureters to my kidneys.

Comment

Hi dolule,

Originally posted by dolule View Post
                          Also, I think that trying to push the pee out might be making the problem worse.
                          It doesn't, for me.

I have dealt with retention since the age of 4, I am now 53. I spent the majority of my childhood on medications to treat Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) due to retention.

The UTIs were due to not empting the bladder completely (retention). Through the years the recommendation from many Urologists was to relax, massage the bladder and pushing. I push in quick short pushes which empties my bladder more.

When a person has retention the urine sits there and collects bacteria which then has the potential of becoming UTI.

That is why stretching and using relaxation techniques may help.
                          Yes. relaxing or relaxation techniques can also be helpful for retention.

Please discuss your concerns with a Urologist who can better address your retention.
                          Diagnosed 1984
                          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                            Hi dolule,

It doesn't, for me.

I have dealt with retention since the age of 4, I am now 53. I spent the majority of my childhood on medications to treat Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) due to retention.

The UTIs were due to not empting the bladder completely (retention). Through the years the recommendation from many Urologists was to relax, massage the bladder and pushing. I push in quick short pushes which empties my bladder more.

When a person has retention the urine sits there and collects bacteria which then has the potential of becoming UTI.

Yes. relaxing or relaxation techniques can also be helpful for retention.

Please discuss your concerns with a Urologist who can better address your retention.
                            Thanks for the feedback, Snoopy! I knew that UTI's occur when the urine sits there and bacteria starts growing. That is why I thought pushing with a full bladder might make things worse (i.e. pushing any bacteria up to the kidneys). But I accept the doctors' and your greater expertise on this.

I actually do pretty well with the retention issue myself. I've had MS for about 30 years, but didn't really have a problem with retention until about eight years ago when one day I just couldn't pee. I had a neuro app't that day and they found I was holding a 300 cc residual. The next day, I went to a restorative yoga class and at the end I went into the bathroom and the urine just poured out. So that's how I got into the relaxation and stretching as a way to deal with hesitancy. Since then, I've never had more than 125cc max residual (and usually much less) so the urologist said I didn't need to cath (cathing made my bladder spasm!) and have luckily never had a bladder infection. But I do continue to use the stretching a couple times a day to try and empty my bladder as much as possible.

It must have been really really hard as a child to deal with all those bladder infections! I'm glad you found what works for you!

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by dolule View Post
                              But I accept the doctors' and your greater expertise on this.
                              I am definitely no expert . It is always best to consult with a medical profession for the best advice

I went to a restorative yoga class and at the end I went into the bathroom and the urine just poured out.
                              That is an awesome experience you had. I'm sure it was quite a relief in more than one way

have luckily never had a bladder infection
                              It is always amazing to me when I run across women who have never had a UTI But, how wonderful!

To date I have never had to self cath, thank goodness! I was cathed, in the Urologist office, about once a month as a child.

Cathing can stretch the Urethra and the thought was if my Urethra was stretched then my bladder would empty completely. Didn't make a difference

I am very happy for you that relaxation techniques have had positive results!
                              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X