Unequal pupils after Optic Neuritis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unequal pupils after Optic Neuritis

I'm sorry but one more question that I hope at least one person could answer?

Ever since Optic neuritis my affected eyes pupil is always larger than the unaffected eye.

Neuro ophthalmologist says pupillary defect when he speaks into his little voice recorder.

Does anyone know if this is permanent?

And again, does anyone ever experience worsening in vision crazily after being too hot?

Again any advise to ease this wondering and lost in limbo mind would be so greatly appreciated..

I had optic neuritis at 19, and for about a year afterwards my pupils reacted differently to light. The one that was affected would dilate when exposed to light before shrinking like it should. The good news is it was temporary. I saw an eye doctor last year for something unrelated, and he could not find any trace of the optic neuritis at all.

Comment

That is great to hear that it was temporary. Was that what brought your diagnosis? How are you doing now? My pupil reacts the same way but just states bigger than the other in general. And is also very big when I'm feeling wiped. Was definitely interesting to learn that you see with your brain and not your eyes. And that whole dynamic. This has been a learning experience for sure. And I thank you for your answer.

Comment

I never had ON but one of my first sx was poor eyesight when I went inside/outside.

Eventually when I was treated and assessed for more than dx I was told my pupils do not dilate/constrict in unison and also very slow. I never got a chance to ask more.

I'm assuming I have lesions in my eye nerves. If this is similar to you condition, any input on how I can deal?
        Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
        Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

Dear Chowda,

What brought you to your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking.. I'm in "limbo" apparently and I'm in freaked out mode I guess. I only have one eye affected and a year later still not the same and night vision not so good. And had an episode of blindess recently after being extremely overheated and tired. But was better when I woke up so took me a bit to mention it to my primary dr.

Comment

I've had uneven pupils with ON more than once, but it only lasts about 12 hours (I think; I'm not always sure how long it has been going on before I notice it), so I can't really speak to your experience. The blurriness, loss of color saturation, etc. last for weeks and every time I have ON* my vision becomes a bit more damaged permanently. It's easier to trigger disturbances when I overheat (it's called Uhthoff's phenomenon; if you google it you can get more detailed info), vision is a little less crisp, etc.

Will it last forever? That depends. I know, that's a crappy answer. I can't speak to the pupil issue, but the rest of it tends to get better over time (months to a year) in many people. It doesn't always get better, and it often doesn't get as good as it was before, sadly. Every case is individual though, so I'd advise getting a prognosis based on your own case from your doctor.

*That I notice. I've had it at least once, probably more, where I didn't notice a thing, yet the left optic disc was atrophied, so we know it happened.

Comment

Uhtoffs

The neuro ophthalmologist explained that to me, as I've recently experienced it. Scared me during it but since it resolved took me a bit to speak up about it because I always think it's in my head or embarrassed to discuss things. Probably makes me a bad patient.

ON was last march. Vision improved a lot but not completely. And I was told that this is as good as it's gonna recover. Night vision very impaired. I was treated twice once in march and once in June because apparently it was an atypical case. And the pain suddenly returned way worse than the first time. It's been a learning experience to say the least.

Comment

It sounds like you've really been through the wringer.

Comment

It's been a crazy couple years.

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
                  It sounds like you've really been through the wringer.
                  I just pray it will all be figured out and I don't have anymore freakish things happen. Talk about a roller coaster ride. And people at work giving me a hard time. Actually had to work through IV steroids which were 6 hour infusions the second time because I had a reaction the first round.

Went to work with IV wrapped up and people kept asking me who won the fight.. Smh I feel like unleashing and just tell everyone exactly what I'm dealing with instead of them treating me like "oh what's wrong now" makes my heart sink into my stomach. Like thanks that's just what I needed.. People could really stink. Been on here a few days and feels good to be able to ask questions etc....

Comment

Working...
                  X