To Young for this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Young for this!

I am only 36...I know that at one time in my life I thought that was old but then I grew up. I have had this symptom for about 2-3 months now....going to see my doctor Friday after a trip to the all time favorite MRI machine but anyway I often pee a little on myself doesn't matter if I just came from the bathroom....its not a lot but there has been times that I have had to change all my clothing. Would this be considered urine retention or just leakage? And does anyone else do this????

Currently on drug holiday after Tysabri ( reactions might have been worse than the disease)

I've been diagnosed 15 years. I had just turned 30. A friend was in his 20's when he was diagnosed. It's hard I know especially with kids, work and a life but I believe keeping busy is a good thing.

As for the peeing it took me awhile to figure out how to empty my blatter and at night I have to go a lot. I've had accidents of both king, fortunately none were in public. I wear a diaper or pads when I'm flying or will be going places that restrooms might be hard to get to like the fair or a car show.

I take precautions and don't get mad at myself except when I know I waited to long and could have avoided the issue. Anyway, there are easy ways to keep it under control with a pad so you don't have to worry as much. Talk to your dr and see what he/she says.

Good luck and best wishes.

Comment

Hi mommaof4,

Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon in MS to have issues with your bladder. It's certainly frustrating! Like Trixi already mentioned, I also suggest wearing a pad and mentioning it to your doctor. There are medications that can help. A urologist can also run tests to determine the exact cause of your bladder dysfunction and offer solutions. Retention can become a problem because of the risk of UTI's (which sound innocent enough, but can lead to kidney infections or even urosepsis - been there, done that )

I would also suggest getting checked for a UTI (and that it's cultured to make sure you are put on the right antibiotics if it comes back positive).

Here's some information from the National MS Society:

Bladder dysfunction, which occurs in at least 80 percent of people with MS, happens when MS lesions block or delay transmission of nerve signals in areas of the central nervous system (CNS) that control the bladder and urinary sphincter. (The sphincter is the muscle surrounding the opening of the bladder, that controls the storage and outflow of urine. It is this muscle that gives people voluntary control over urination.) Symptoms of bladder dysfunction can include:

Frequency and/or urgency of urination
      Hesitancy in starting urination
      Frequent nighttime urination (known as nocturia)
      Incontinence (the inability to hold in urine)
      These symptoms can be caused by a “spastic” bladder that is unable to hold the normal amount of urine, or by a bladder that does not empty properly and retains some urine in it. Retaining urine can lead to complications such as repeated infections or kidney damage.

Issues can usually be managed quite successfully through strategies for bladder management (.pdf) including dietary and fluid management, medications, and intermittent or continual catheterization (inserting a thin tube into the bladder to remove urine).

Left untreated, bladder dysfunction can cause emotional and personal hygiene problems that interfere with normal activities of living and socialization. It is important to seek appropriate medical evaluation and treatment early, so that the cause of the bladder symptoms can be determined and treated, and complications avoided.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...er-Dysfunction

Best of luck ,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Motor Neurogenic Bladder

I apologize for my spelling-would use spelling function but can't get it to work.

I am so sorry this disease got to you at an early age. It is tough enough at 45 (I am 61 now).

One of the first test I had prior to my diagnosis (at my request-like all the other test, since my neurologist couldn't figure out what was wrong with me) was a 'Urodynamic Test' or 'Study'. This test is to specifically test for a 'Motor Neurogenic Bladder' (MNB). This can only be caused by MS or a very rare condition (Equinine ??? can't recall the name it). If anyone would like to know what happened during the test, I will be happy to let you know what my experience was.

The test was positive for this condition which point to MS. During the visit to get result from Neuro - he didn't even read the report correctly and said to me 'Well, I guess you are going to have to wear diapers the rest of your life". I had the reverse of incontenance. I have to push to pass urine or have a bowel movement. Will elaborate if anyone needs info...but my guess is not.

Comment

Working...
        X