Numbness over entire left side of body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness over entire left side of body?

Hello! I have been very lucky and have had very few symptoms of my MS since my diagnosis 2 years ago.

As of yesterday I have been getting waves of numbness on my left side that comes and goes. Now today I am getting the waves again but more extreme where if feels like if I were to stand I would fall and it is more intense of a numbness.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am assuming I am having a flare and I plan to call my Dr. in the morning but do you think this is something I will just have to deal with until it goes away since it is a common symptom or do you think this is something they will treat with steroids? It is such an odd sensation and one that I have never felt before!

This is exactly the way my numb and tingly flares used to happen. Waves of tingly, over a few days, then the tide would come in, and I'd be numb. Back in the day, the tide would eventually go out.

No-one ever offered me steroids for it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask.

Comment

Sorry to say......

My left arm has been numb for 20 yrs. my left leg has been numb for 8 yrs. It drove me insane at first but with MS you have to adapt.

I'm legally blind so my husband checks visually for cuts or burns, last week he pulled out a splinter that I did not know was there. Occasionally, I get what I call the "Super Hum" which starts at a tingle and quickly turns into spasms, quite painful.

Out of curiosity, are you left handed?

Peace,
      Anna

Comment

Numbness

Does this numbness go after a certain length of time or does one have to get steroids each time it happens? I'm diagnosed with relapsing/ remitting MS 2 years this July,still a lot I don't understand and no one has explained it to me either

Comment

same with me righrt now

Woke up on Thursday feeling like my left hand had fallen asleep while I slept. It never woke up, then my left leg and back of my head went numb. Really annoying. Starting SoluMedrol in the morning. Fingers crossed (well, the ones that will cross, anyway.)

Comment

Hello Jdflan and welcome to MSWorld.

Originally posted by Jdflan View Post
            Does this numbness go after a certain length of time or does one have to get steroids each time it happens? I'm diagnosed with relapsing/ remitting MS 2 years this July,still a lot I don't understand and no one has explained it to me either
            With anything related to MS, there is no time frame. Steroids are not typically prescribed for numbness. Steroids are used for exacerbations (relapse, attack, flare-up) and not for symptom management. It is best to consult with your Neurologist if in doubt or concerned as he will know your medical situation better than those on a Forum.

Information from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:
            http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ptoms/Numbness

Some basic information on exacerbations:
            http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...aging-Relapses
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Jdflan View Post

I have had numbness/tingling in legs feet daily for 8 yrs, sometimes nothing helps this. So is what it is, I am used to it.

TS dx RRMS in 95 at age 21 good luck and I would speak to your neuro if you have questions

Comment

Hi TheMisses,

You might being have a flare or it could be a new annoying symptom you have to contend with at times....I'm sorry about that!

During a relapse-My numbness feels like someone put blood pressure cuffs on my foot, leg and arm and pumped it up. I still have sensation to the touch but it is a little more faded than left side. This also happens in waves....but the leg/arm strength is definitely worse during a relapse. Now regularly I do have numbness that peeks in at times, but this is not a flare.

I got diagnosed in Nov 2013 and since then have struggled with a numb right foot at times; however during relapses (which I have had a lot of) the numbness gets worse on my right side of body-foot, calf, upper thigh, and arm). I have had steroids (prednisone tablets or Solumedrol IV in ER) to treat the relapses, but NOT just the numbness unless this was severe of course.

When my Neuro doc puts me on steroids it is usually for a host of symptoms with a flare-more numbness, more muscle spasticity/body soreness all over, extreme fatigue, some electrical nerve pain in head, and this happens over a course of a few weeks so I know yikes, the tornado might be coming!

I REALLY hope this helps you understand it better. Overall, I am glad you have been doing so well considering. Hooray!

Take care-
                Nikki

Comment

If the extreme numbness is something new that came out of nowhere, personally I would do steroids to hopefully make it go away. That could mean an exacerbation. You don't have to have multiple sx's for it to be one.

Example: I had crazy itchies that would not stop on my upper left arm. I'd scratch but the skin was numb. It did no good. That was my only sx. Had a mri & yep, something was active. Steroids & it went away.

Back to numbness...I've had left sided saddle numbness before. Think of where you would sit on a saddle & yep, everything was numb there! Steroids also made that go away.

Certainly not saying steroids makes everything go away, but if it's a new crazy thing I'd definitely consider it! I'd hate to have crazy symptoms that stay with me for years when it could possibly have been stopped. My thoughts anyway.
                  MS dx's 2000
                  Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Working...
                  X