Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL fatigue treatments. What do YOU take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I <3 LDN

I take LDN and Wellbutrin SR for fatigue. They work wonderfully for me. The first time I heard of LDN for MS was in an "Ask Dr.Gott" column in the local news paper. I researched it and went on the adventure to get it.
    Dx - Jan 2005
    1st Symptoms - Dec 2004
    Currently treatment - Tefidera (6/14) & LDN (4/09)
    Past treatments: Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Solumedrol IV, Prednisone

Comment

you can find a lot of information here, http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115804
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

We are very much alike

Originally posted by Dale76 View Post
        Yeah that's more how I feel. I would like to sleep more but when I lay down I can't and also laying down causes more pain then sitting so I normally curl up in a comfy chair and watch tv, surf the web or even just stare at the wall.

I don't take any prescription meds for sleep or energy. I sometimes take over the counter sleeping pills to get to sleep. For energy during the day I take caffein pills and drink energy drinks that contain Taurine.
        I had to laugh out loud when I read your post. I have the same type of fatigue and my recliner is my best friend. I rejuvenate in spurts.

My neuro could not prescribe a drug that my insurance covered so for now I'm stuck with no meds for fatigue. (Now I need to ask him about these other drugs Zi see in this thread.) On top of that I now take anti-anxiety meds which do make me sleepy.

My son woke up and came by my bedside to greet me. He asked, "mom, why do you always have that face in the morning?" I said, "what face?" He said, "you're just staring at the wall and not saying anything!"

Wow, I do that a lot. Lol.
        Dx MS (RRMS) 7/14
        Dx Myastenia Gravis 8/14
        No treatment selected yet

Comment

Fatigue

Originally posted by fishead View Post
          Provigil is no longer working for me.

I was wondering what EVERYONE has tried and takes, for fatigue.

Ring in with your thoughts and med/non-med treatment.
          I take Nuvigil; it is the newer version of Provigil. Ask about taking that. I'm think I'm going to look into the LDN which was suggested here. Got to keep trying.

Diane
          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

ALL FATIGUE TREATMENTS

I take Provigil at 200 mg 3 times a day in addition to Adderrall. Some years ago I tried the Nuvigil but apparently it didn't work for me as I switched back to provigil. This med has been a life saver for me, my brain cannot function without it. Although I get my sleep, if I don't have my meds, its like sleep deprivation for me.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
              It will be rare that you ever find a MSer who takes LDN that complains of fatigue and the drug is actually used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The reason LDN works is that it generates a 2-300% increase in Endorphins the day after you take it and most people don't get tired during an Endorphin rush.

Two inexpensive supplements worth considering for MS-related fatigue are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your body efficiently turn food energy into cellular energy. It helps prevent cancer and is even in clinical trial now for SPMS as it is believed to prevent myelin damage.

Malic Acid has been shown to effectively reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis and CFS patients.

I take all three: LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid. 300mg ALA at each meal along with 600mg Malic Acid.

I'm never really tired and havn't so much as taken a nap in five years. A lot of this I accredit to the LDN and you'll need a prescription for that. The ALA and Malic Acid are less than $5 a bottle.

Pulling up an older post. Can you tell me what LDN is??
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi Marti,

LDN stands for Low Dose Naltrexone. You can learn more about it here:

http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=810

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tre...ose-Naltrexone
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
                  I take Nuvigil; it is the newer version of Provigil. Ask about taking that. I'm think I'm going to look into the LDN which was suggested here. Got to keep trying.

Diane
                  I'm is the same boat as Provigil for MS Fatigue is 200mg maximum due to UK guidelines Grrrrrrrrr!

I am researching Nuvigil as an alternative and will be fighting to have it prescribed.

I tried Gabapentin - not much good - the was prescribed the newer version Lyrica - result!!

Hoping that Nuvigil will prove as helpful for me.

Comment

LDN

Will your neuro prescribe LDN? I've heard that there are very few doctors that will prescribe it. That's unfortunate as I've also heard that is very effective for MS fatigue.

Comment

LDN is short for Low Dose Naltrexone which in its standard dose is 50 mg and is usually prescribed as an opiate antagonist. I am not a doctor and I learned about this compounded drug through several websites. Knuckle , on this board, has posted about this drug many times. I have been taking it for several years. There is a lot to learn about prescribing and treating with this drug. I hope that you can find a doctor to prescribe it for you. Good luck

Comment

This sounds SO much like my life its eerie DianeD !!!

Originally posted by DianeD View Post
                        I take Nuvigil which is the newest version of the Provigil. Like you, I am not getting the relief I once did. My neuro has never mentioned taking Ritalin or any of those type drugs.

I also can't fall asleep which is pretty strange when you think of how tired I am. I take Amytriptilene. I feel as though I can't get to sleep or wake up without drugs!!!

The tiredness, fatigue is the worst of my symptoms aside from my neuropathy.

MS is the pits.

Diane
                        It feels so wrong to need drugs to sleep and to wake up, but that's the story of my life too Diane!

Comment

I take modafinil ( provigil) 200 mg every morning. Helped a lot first few months, now not so much. My neuro says to take another 100 mg in afternoon but my pcp thinks that's too much.

Comment

Try switching to Nuvigil

For me, Novigil definitely works better.
                            I was on Provigil at first, then went to Nuvigil 250 mg every morning. After a couple years on it, now I notice it when it kicks in (about an hour after taking), but then after an hour, I'm right back to where I was. If I don't take in caffeine, I could go to sleep standing up.

Originally posted by AriD View Post
                            I take modafinil ( provigil) 200 mg every morning. Helped a lot first few months, now not so much. My neuro says to take another 100 mg in afternoon but my pcp thinks that's too much.
                            ~For me MS is feeling like I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and never know what's next. ~

Comment

LDN sounds like something I want to try!

I am not getting any significant relief from Nuvigil anymore (6+ years), and I won't ever use Adderall again (meth - speed). I am going to ask my neurologist about this tomorrow!
                              Thank you for posting this!

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                              LDN is short for Low Dose Naltrexone which in its standard dose is 50 mg and is usually prescribed as an opiate antagonist. I am not a doctor and I learned about this compounded drug through several websites. Knuckle , on this board, has posted about this drug many times. I have been taking it for several years. There is a lot to learn about prescribing and treating with this drug. I hope that you can find a doctor to prescribe it for you. Good luck
                              ~For me MS is feeling like I have fallen down the rabbit hole, and never know what's next. ~

Comment

Provigil

I was taking 800 mg per day, yes 800 mg per day but my new doctor disagreed with that much med so they switched me to something else, (I can't remember the name) that had no effect at all. I'm back on Provigil but only 200 mg per day. Everyday around 1300 I can fall asleep I'm so tired but I get a cup of coffee which helps me get to 17:30 when I get home from work. I can usually only make it to 8 or 9 pm then I'm out quickly. Fatigue is the worst part of my MS live. de

Comment

Working...
                                X