Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALL fatigue treatments. What do YOU take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALL fatigue treatments. What do YOU take?

Provigil is no longer working for me.

I was wondering what EVERYONE has tried and takes, for fatigue.

Ring in with your thoughts and med/non-med treatment.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Non med

My fatigue is like clock work, when I wake up at 5am ish it comes just after 3pm. I'm home by 3:15 ish so I just take a nap. I was dx July 2013, I have the fatigue forced nap for 2 to 3 years now.

Good luck, I'm just so glad it happens when I can be home.

Comment

I'm same way! But some days its all day! Have same schedule as you! On symmtral spelling sorry. Same as yours and it sucks! Messes with my stomach and moods!

Comment

Provigil is not working for me anymore, either. I have to take 350 mg to get through the workday....and I am only prescribed 200 mg (90-day supply). I have talked to my neuro, so she is aware.....but I'm afraid of what will happen once the supply runs out and they won't refill until the date insurance will cover.

I want to sleep all the time on the weekends....someone once said it feels like "gravity is not my friend", and taking a quick nap like so many suggest will help just won't cut it. I know they mean well, but they don't understand.....
        Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

I'm tired all day, everyday regardless of how much sleep I get. I was on Provigil and after about 5 years I felt it was it was no longer working. So, I asked my neuro if I could try other drugs to see if they worked better. I settled on the generic of Adderall (10 mg) because it's cheap. It works the same way as Ritalin did for me.

I take it twice a day rather than the extended release that is taken once a day.
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

It will be rare that you ever find a MSer who takes LDN that complains of fatigue and the drug is actually used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The reason LDN works is that it generates a 2-300% increase in Endorphins the day after you take it and most people don't get tired during an Endorphin rush.

Two inexpensive supplements worth considering for MS-related fatigue are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your body efficiently turn food energy into cellular energy. It helps prevent cancer and is even in clinical trial now for SPMS as it is believed to prevent myelin damage.

Malic Acid has been shown to effectively reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis and CFS patients.

I take all three: LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid. 300mg ALA at each meal along with 600mg Malic Acid.

I'm never really tired and havn't so much as taken a nap in five years. A lot of this I accredit to the LDN and you'll need a prescription for that. The ALA and Malic Acid are less than $5 a bottle.

Comment

Nuvigil

Originally posted by lorib View Post
              I'm tired all day, everyday regardless of how much sleep I get. I was on Provigil and after about 5 years I felt it was it was no longer working. So, I asked my neuro if I could try other drugs to see if they worked better. I settled on the generic of Adderall (10 mg) because it's cheap. It works the same way as Ritalin did for me.

I take it twice a day rather than the extended release that is taken once a day.
              I take Nuvigil which is the newest version of the Provigil. Like you, I am not getting the relief I once did. My neuro has never mentioned taking Ritalin or any of those type drugs.

I also can't fall asleep which is pretty strange when you think of how tired I am. I take Amytriptilene. I feel as though I can't get to sleep or wake up without drugs!!!

The tiredness, fatigue is the worst of my symptoms aside from my neuropathy.

MS is the pits.

Diane
              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Think I may try Adderall.

Comment

My fatigue is not the sleepy kind that I read about from a lot of you. My fatigue is that is takes so much energy to make my arms and legs do what I want them to do. I don't have to take a nap but sitting down and resting is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by webbles989898 View Post
                    My fatigue is not the sleepy kind that I read about from a lot of you. My fatigue is that is takes so much energy to make my arms and legs do what I want them to do. I don't have to take a nap but sitting down and resting is a must.
                    Yeah that's more how I feel. I would like to sleep more but when I lay down I can't and also laying down causes more pain then sitting so I normally curl up in a comfy chair and watch tv, surf the web or even just stare at the wall.

I don't take any prescription meds for sleep or energy. I sometimes take over the counter sleeping pills to get to sleep. For energy during the day I take caffein pills and drink energy drinks that contain Taurine.

I did try Amitriptyline before but it did not agree with me or work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale76 View Post
                      ,,,or even just stare at the wall.
                      OMG, I sit and just "stare at the wall/other things" TOO!!! Did not know I wasn't unique to this.
                      "Staring at the wall" is VERY comforting to me.

Please share, if you "stare"! How you feel about it? Does it "do" anything for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Lavee View Post
                        My fatigue is like clock work, when I wake up at 5am ish it comes just after 3pm. I'm home by 3:15 ish so I just take a nap. I was dx July 2013, I have the fatigue forced nap for 2 to 3 years now.

Good luck, I'm just so glad it happens when I can be home.
                        We have a similar situation and I'm very thankful also that it happens when all my work is done and I'm already at home.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
                          It will be rare that you ever find a MSer who takes LDN that complains of fatigue and the drug is actually used to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
                          What is LDN?

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post

The reason LDN works is that it generates a 2-300% increase in Endorphins the day after you take it and most people don't get tired during an Endorphin rush.

Two inexpensive supplements worth considering for MS-related fatigue are Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid

Alpha Lipoic Acid helps your body efficiently turn food energy into cellular energy. It helps prevent cancer and is even in clinical trial now for SPMS as it is believed to prevent myelin damage.

Malic Acid has been shown to effectively reduce fatigue in Fibromyalgia, Psoriasis and CFS patients.

I take all three: LDN, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Malic Acid. 300mg ALA at each meal along with 600mg Malic Acid.

I'm never really tired and havn't so much as taken a nap in five years. A lot of this I accredit to the LDN and you'll need a prescription for that. The ALA and Malic Acid are less than $5 a bottle.
                            Knuckle; my neuro said she would RX LDN but I keep holding off... I read about it and it seems the right course; if you could PM me your experience it would be appreciated

J
                            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

LDN is...

Low Dose Naltrexone. I've been on it for about 18 months now and love it!! I don't know the link policy here but you can google it. You need a prescription and some doctors are iffy about it but worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X