Help, My Legs Are Too Weak To Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, My Legs Are Too Weak To Function

Please help. I'm SPMS, I've had PT & OT and even home aide (for a limited amount of visits due to Medicare limits) and I'm doing my ” limited” exercises. Now I'm having great difficulty doing things like getting in and out of bed, on and off the toilet, in and out of the tub and off the floor when I fall. We can't afford full-time help for me (my husband is a disabled vet who's going into a work-study program that's going to keep him away from the house most of the day.

I know there are products out there for just about any issue albeit expensive ones. Is there anyone else out there that has these issues and are there any suggestions or tips for someone who had very weak legs but isn't bedridden yet?
    Be Well,

Dx 1995 as RRMS, 2003 SPMS Rx: Gabapentin, Baclofen, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam

I know how tough it is.

Can you have your OT come back and help you with strategies and try out products?

On weak days, I use my rollator with the wheels locked to help me up from seated position. I also have a stander bed rail that tucks under the mattress and has feet that go to the floor.

I'm concerned that you are falling. That can be so dangerous. Are you using any assistive devices indoors? Also, were you ever taught by your PT to get up off the floor with the least effort? The technique involves rolling on your side, then onto all fours and then using your arms on something like a side table to pivot and sit on.

You would really only need one session in your home for an OT and PT to assess and provide you with suggestions and teach you strategies.

Comment

Medical equipment

Many cities have facilities with used medical equipment that they will loan to you for free (or small donation). We got a Hoyer lift, gait belt and a bath lifter to use at home. Check it out in your area. One such agency was set up through the Knights of Columbus and they loan scooters and wheelchairs as well.

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses. Yes I have a rollator that I have to use when getting up off the floor, getting on all four, locking the brakes and using the seat to left myself up. I usually have to sit on the floor with my legs stretched out for a little while in order to get the leg strength to get my strong leg under me to stand up. The one good thing about falling is knowing how to fall (or how to land). Protect your head and land square on your butt. I also have a bed rail that slides between the mattress and box spring with legs. That comes in handy for sitting up in bed and then I can lift my legs over the side of the bed, grab my walker handles and slide down (our bed is a little lifted which makes it easier to get down but difficult to get up.

Thanks for the tip on finding used products. My OT suggested a tub side rail for our guest bathroom (the tub is right next to the toilet) and a bathlift for the master tub. I'm waiting for the request to be sent to my doctor then faxed to my insurance. But I'll do some research on used things as well.
        Be Well,

Dx 1995 as RRMS, 2003 SPMS Rx: Gabapentin, Baclofen, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam

Comment

I have fallen a lot lately and thought of a solution to get off the floor to a bed. Buy six exersize steps from walmart.com for 200 dollars and make them into "stairs" leading up to your bed so you can scoot your but back up to them. IMO very good solution for those who cant afford lifts. Thought of it yesterday.[/I][/I]

Comment

My father passed away with ALS not to long ago and my mom donated all his assistive devices to the local ALS chapter you may want to try contacting your local ALS chapter. A lot of the assistive devices are similar and unfortunately ALS has such a short life expectancy they get a lot of used equipment donated.
            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

I had a 'waverly-glen' ceiling lift installed when i could no longer get up off the toilet even with grab bars. my husband was still working and i needed independance. this system is similar to 'sure-hands' lifts. it has a track that goes from the toilet to the tub and a controller that i use. it was expensive $7000 with no insurance coverage.
              it would be a blessing to find something used. it is extremely expensive to be in our situation.

Comment

I live alone and also experienced falling in the tub; I tried using a sticky shower mat and had one of those hand held shower sprayers. I sat on the floor of the tub, but still got "stuck" when it was time to get out. I shared this with my neuro today; he wrote me a script for a shower bench/chair. He says because of the spasticity in my legs that's what's making me fall, and then try to fight getting out of the tub. He said by using a shower chair/bench I can just swing my legs over the tub side and won't have to try to drag them out.
                Contact your local MS society - I know ours will help to get us assistive devices such as shower benches/rollators, etc. if your insurance company won't pay for this. I don't believe that shower benches are that expensive - I also have grab bars on each side/walls of my tub. The towel rack in the shower definitely won't hold you up if you fall, take it from someone who's been there LOL! Sometimes this disease is so irritating you just have to laugh!

Hang in there and I hope these suggestions help!
                Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
                It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

I have PPMS and my legs are getting weaker. I prefer showers but I hadn't felt safe in our tub/shower combo for a long time. It was expensive but one of the best things we've ever done is take out the tub & change it for a full shower. I would have preferred the look of glass shower doors but a curtain is more practical for me now & also when I need a shower seat & probably help later on.

A couple of things I learned while doing it are: there are really nice, stylish grab bars that don't look at all "medical", if you get a solid shower floor instead of tile, your contractor may be able to sink it another inch into the floor so there's even less of a step to get in, you can get a slide bar for the extra shower head that is also an ADA grab bar, your contractor can build you a towel bar that can also serve as a grab bar.

I had concerns that doing this would lower the value of our home as we only have 1 bathroom but it's so great for me that now I really don't care. Also, it will keep me in my home for longer.

Comment

I have a bench that sits on top of the bath tub walls and can be easily flipped up against the back wall for anyone who doesn't need it. It was pretty inexpensive, I think <$30 on Amazon, and well worth it. Anything that makes it safer for you also benefits those around you who would also suffer with extra work and worry if you hurt yourself.

And there's no denying that getting hurt is a lot more expensive in most cases than getting the things you need to keep you safe.
                    PPMS
                    Dx 07/13

Comment

I use that dry hair spray "shampoo". Cuts hair-washing down to once a week.
                      Boyfriend has been told he'll just have to learn to live with my hairy thighs. I'll do armpits. I'll do anything below the knee.

I am quite miserable every time time I have to have a shower. I try to put it off as long as possible. It's not the fear of falling over, and being found in a naked mess, although that's there, so much as the utter exhaustion afterwards.

I dread it, and I have a reasonable shower chair, and non-slip bath mats.

Comment

Hello.
                        I think so, Walk-in bathtubs can be an easy solution to this problem. Like, last month, my wife and I remodeled one of our bathrooms to make it secure for my 89 yr old grandfather, whose legs are not working and he is shifting with us in December. On the recommendation of my brother, I get into contact with the professional contractor who changed my bathtub into a walk in bathtub which is built with a bench and a handheld component on the shower head.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

Working...
                        X