Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Diplopia and probably a bit of nystagmus' but what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Diplopia and probably a bit of nystagmus' but what is this?

I saw my neuro almost a month ago and just remembered to ask this! Ya, memory is so gooooooood.

My neuro says its best to wait for Ty to kick in (yes if, I think its already working) to be able to address things better because I have so many lesions and so many symptoms.

When this all started back in May my eyes took longer than usual to adjust between indoor/outdoor. Its like my pupils were dilating so slow. I've had eye problems in the past. My opthamologist is good friends with my neuro. She says its a Ukranian doctors thing.

So back then my neuro did inform me that my eyes don't move in unison and my pupils don't dilate in unison either. Ok, what is this even called? My opthamologist was kind of like ya, that's another of the many MS things.

Is there something I can or should do? And this rabid pupil thing is called ??? Thanks!
    Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
    Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

The "Diplopia and probably a bit of nystagmus" together is also known as Internuclear Ophthalmoplegia or INO.

Diplopia is just the fancy name for double vision and the nystagmus is the rabid eyeball jumping/twitching thing.

I started with the double vision and then the nystagmus came about 2 weeks later...That's what landed me in the ER last year and ultimately brought me here...

I also have amblyopia in my left eye and have had it since I was a child so my vision in my left eye is extremely limited.

Strabismus is when the eyes don't move in unison.

As I was told, there really is nothing I could do, though my dr told me I could wear an eye patch if it was bothersome.

I notice that when I am tired, it seems to get worse. The INO went away, thank goodness, and the strabismus seems to vary in intensity, but I'll always be stuck with the amblyopia!

I would double check with your eye dr again though to see if that's really what they were talking about!

Good luck--I know that having vision issues is rough!

Comment

Strabismus is when one eye is pulled in toward center. It can be that way from birth, or can be acquired from a lesion to one of the cranial eye nerves. This may cause a simple distortion in vision, to all out double vision.

Amblyopia by the same token can cause vision distortion, up to clear double vision. Depending on what caused it.

While both can cause double vision, the acquired versions of both in late teenage or adult ages are most likely to be caused by a lesion such as in MS.

INO is a specific disease in which your eyes do not turn fully outward when looking to the left and right, but have nystagmus at the extreme turns. While turning both ways one eye will lag the other as they turn and may have a jerky (nystagmus) appearance. When trying to converge, both eyes go down and toward the nose, even if the vision point is straight ahead, or above the nose, it will always be down and inward toward the nose.

Occasionally, more often than not, there is gaze evoked nystagmus, which is a large velocity nystagmus when the person is moving their eyes around looking around at things, it looks out of control but is perfectly under the control of the INO, or BINO.

Hope you find some answers.
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X