MS drunk & tired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS drunk & tired

My wife was diagnosed about 2 years ago. When she gets really tired, her voice changes and she repeats herself constantly. If you were to talk to her, or meet her, you'd easily think she was drunk. But, she isn't. She'll tell me the same story 4x in an hour. I'm not sure how to handle this with her. I don't want her to feel worse about her MS, but some nights it is difficult.
    Has anyone experienced this?
    Thank you.

I assume you've spoken to your wife about this?

It is very possible this could be a result of medications or an underlying psychiatric condition, too. Or, boredom. Maybe, she is just by herself so much and nothing new in her life to talk about, so she repeats herself trying to 'connect' with you. Does she have any social life outside of the home?

It is an issue her M.D. needs to address with her and figure out why.

Be patient, I use to take pills that made me repeat things all the time. It wasn't until I took control of what medications I put in my body, now.

So Sorry, you are having to deal with this but, this does appear as though it could be dealt with by her M.D. and even a psychiatrist. 2 years, she may be depressed with the diagnosis, certainly, it has changed her life.

Please don't give up, she needs you to help her get through this period and report these 'symptoms' to her doc. fed

Comment

I think Fed gave you good advice and getting a medical work up is where I would start.

This disease is miserable and I'm sorry both of you are going through this.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

thank you both.

Comment

I'm like your wife

I have ms and have had it for years. I knew something was wrong with me but the Dr I had at the time really didn't do all the right test or get me to a neurologist and he even accused me of doing drugs and tested me for it of course I was negative for drugs. He then tested me for lupus and stroke cause I wound up in the hospital. I could not walk or talk and my speech was slurred and my left side was paralyzed and after 5 days of testing and no answer I got fed up and left the hospital A M A that was October 16 2009. I finally got to a neurologist last year and after the write test was dx,d but I'm still like your wife at times I will ask the same thing or slur my speech I don't always remember everything and I'm forgetting to take my meds at times. So now I right down the date on the bubble package so I no I took my abugeo for my ms. I really don't no of a cure for it just maybe kat naps for her also try and check her sugar and her oxygen levels she may have something going on there and that can make it worse for her. I'm like not making a lot of sense to myself so I'm going to go for now good luck. Bobby

Comment

Ummmmm ... Is this my hubby writing under an alias?

This is me too. Although I'm not dxed, I have been seeing mental health professionals. I am fine that way, at least for now. Two other recommendations: if your wife hasn't had a sleep study, book her one ASAP. Ms has a high incidence of obstructive and central sleep apnea. Sleep deprivation can really mess you up cognitively.

I am still trying to develop a sense of humour around my memory issues, because it's easier for me when I can laugh about it. To that end, I'm seeing a counsellor. I can tell you being impatient with her won't help (not saying YOU ARE, just sharing my experience).honestly I don't know how family members and caregivers deal with this. If she's like me she's feeling pretty frustrated and stupid herself. My counsellor is helping me with that too.

Both you, and her, need to be able to blame MS. This may be harder fr her to do -- the cognitive difficulties are hitting me at the core of my identity. I can laugh about falls and weakness much more readily -- although I was strong I was never an athlete .

Hope something here is hel

Comment

yes i have the same issues and my family will just laugh at me because i cant walk its like if i had to the sobriety test i would definately fail. I also do find myself repeating what i say also my husband and kids just remind me that i have already said that. I know its not easy seeing a loved one go through this terrible disease but she needs support and she needs to feel like you are there because my family dont understand when i have mood swings and fatigued why i just want to sleep all the time and i am moody so i have to say with being on the other side of what you are experiencing i just want my family to understand the affects that ms has on me. I dont like to be judged during these issues because i already feel bad as it is and i just want to stay at home because people look at me funny when i have a flare up or relapse so all in all i have to stop rambling . Thats just part of my ms also because i dont feel like im explaining myself good enough to where i think you know what im saying . so i will leave this feed back with saying this as i said before us that are dealing with the disease just wants our loved ones to understand how ms affects us and why we are the way we are. thank you for having patience with me and i will be praying for you and your wife. God bless. enjoy every good day that you have with her.

Comment

Working...
              X