No announcement yet.

April Fools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall correctly.... Scooter's infusion nurse helped him. Having a pro-active advocate can make a big difference. Add to that scooter is not in Michigan, the worst of all 50 states (per our own governor) for vet care, benefits (& dollars). I see it often in the (bad) attitudes of some at my VA. My VA MS neuro is better than most and my primary care is even better.

I have a long time friend in the Chicago area and he gets great care. Tampa VA has a good reputation, but nearby Clearwater is about as 180 as it gets from Tampa. Charleston SC, had a horrible reputation in the early 80s.

The Ann Arbor VAMC here expanded a few years back, but reduced beds for vets, WHY? simple to expand animal research.

Back in early 1982 I had cancer surgery (non-VA). It was an extremely rare cancer, with a 10% chance of surviving just 12 months, a virtual death sentence, plus I had zero known risk factors. Might it have been service related? maybe, maybe not, good question, will probably never know. What I DO know is just the unusual DX & surviving raised eyebrows at the VA and did affect how I was treated/ not treated, way back, some were overt and some were not so open, yet it was all too obvious.

While I was in the waiting room for my neuro apt, another vet with kidney disease (a shared clinic waiting room) he was getting good treatment for HIS kidney disease and doing well. Funny thing is they refuse to even do a single test to determine why I have kidney disease so mine might be treated. (if treatable).

Gomer

When my country needed me,
    I enlisted,
    When I needed my country,
    I was stabbed in the back

Comment

I don't feel much sympathy for the VA as an entity. I pretty much follow Marco's stance.

I was actually sent in during the last few months of my Civil Service Time to help fix a poorly performing VA Hospital.

Hardest job I have ever had. It was disgusting. Recommendations made...Senior People fired. I personally got rid of some middle management too.

There are indeed great people at the VA, leadership is the problem, always was. Leadership should always take responsibility for an organizations failures.

Everyone who has served deserves reliable and timely care. Nothing less.

My current Hospital absolutely sucks and is filthy dirty. My current VA Clinic is probably one of the best in the Country. They are absolutely awesome. And it is run by a bunch of retired military.

As one of our Nations Warriors...I will complain when I feel the need. When the CBO tried to get rid of MS connected-connect disability benefits, I roared like a Lion to Senators Larry, Curly and Congressman Moe. I was livid. Now that I am retired, they work for me...not the other way around.

The best part of the VA is the servicemen and servicewomen that I have met. Some pretty wonderful stories out there if you sit and listen.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

As usual there is always more to the story...ha ha.

IN 1979 I was hospitalized for and diagnosed with diabetes. (long story in and of itself). I did not know I was diabetic, my fam doc refused to see me for follow-up after a sore throat. My boss at work asked me to see their doctor (it was obvious to everyone I was sick).

The Co doc dismissed the D possibility that morning, (I did not fit any D stereotypes) and later the same day it was an ambulance trip to ER and hospitalized. He came in yelling at me for not having my diabetes (I did not know I had at the time) under control.

I had been admitted to sick bay in 1968 for pancreatitis, which I at least partly blame, but my Navy records only show I was ordered to see the MO (doc) before release back to duty and the doctor notes and testing are MIA...of course.

IN 1982 I had cancer surgery for a soft-tissue non-immune related KS sarcoma in a lymph node (left leg). It was a very rare presentation and even rarer as I had and never had any known risk factors for the more common type of KS. Strange thing is several chemicals are known risk factors for non-HIV KS; herbicides, one being agent orange (but as blue water Navy and Airedale, I was never in nam).

We did use various chemicals at my duty stations and assignments, some by the case. Some of the non-herbicides may also be in the chemical risk category, but I do not know what they were.

I ran into a lot of prejudice because of the non-HIV KS. (some were even open about it). Despite being HIV negative, both VA and non-VA doctors alike still feared the imagined risk, and even flatly refused me treatment.

So, besides MS I have TWO issues in my med Hx, both with possible Navy Chemical relationships, usually to agent orange. What are the odds that 10-12 years after release I came down with TWO issues known to be related to agent orange? (or similar/related chemicals)

Gomer (maybe slightly off-topic here)

I enlisted,

Comment

A new story from the USA Today ... today!

A VA investigation of one of its outpatient clinics in Colorado reveals how ingrained delays in medical care may be for an agency struggling to rapidly treat nearly 9 million veterans a year amid allegations that dozens have died because of delays.

Clerks at the Department of Veterans Affairs clinic in Fort Collins were instructed last year how to falsify appointment records so it appeared the small staff of doctors was seeing patients within the agency's goal of 14 days, according to the investigation.

A copy of the findings by the VA's Office of Medical Inspector was provided to USA TODAY.

Many of the 6,300 veterans treated at the outpatient clinic waited months to be seen. If the clerical staff allowed records to reflect that veterans waited longer than 14 days, they were punished by being placed on a "bad boy list," the report shows. "Employees reported that scheduling was 'fixed,' " the findings say. Investigators found that nearly half the clinic's 6,000 veteran patients did not have necessary medical appointments scheduled.

Draper says a key problem is a lack of oversight by top VA officials. The Fort Collins problems, for example, came to light only after a whistle-blower stepped forward. Employees being INSTRUCTED on how to cheat the system at the expense of veterans. Another prime example of VA FAILURE!

Comment

In a rare move, one of America’s largest veteran organizations today demanded the resignation of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki amid allegations that medical treatment delays have caused scores of veteran deaths.

Daniel Dellinger, national commander of the American Legion, called for Shinseki and two of his top lieutenants — Under Secretary for Health Robert Petzel and Under Secretary for Benefits Allison Hickey — to step down immediately.

“These disturbing reports are part of what appear to be a pattern of scandals that has infected the entire system,” said Dellinger, noting issues that have come up in Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Augusta, Ga. “Those problems need addressed at the highest level – starting with new leadership. The existing leadership has exhibited a pattern of bureaucratic incompetence and failed leadership that has been amplified in recent weeks.”

Dellinger said that while errors and lapses can occur in any system, “The American Legion expects when such errors and lapses are discovered, that they are dealt with swiftly and that the responsible parties are held accountable. This has not happened at the Department of Veterans Affairs. There needs to be a change, and that change needs to occur at the top. “

Comment

I just got off the phone with a friend, a Korea era vet I have known since 10th grade. He has been waiting for his appointment now over 6 months past due, and still not scheduled...

One of my VA appointments that should happen every 3 months, has been running more like 6 mo between and the latest I over-heard was someone in the local clinic saying to make my next one 11 months out, instead of 3 or 6.

What they need to do is mandate that everyone in the VA system do what is RIGHT or take FLIGHT! (hit the road & unemployment line, or take up residence in a card board box, BTW this would not have any affect on the good VA docs and employees)

Gomer

I enlisted,

Comment

Working...
              X