Florida woman getting HSCT (Fox News)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida woman getting HSCT (Fox News)

Hi there: for those interested in learning more about HSCT, Fox News in Orlando, FL did a piece last night on Heather Nicole Burke who is heading to Chicago soon to do the stem cell transplant for her RRMS with Dr. Burt.
    Here's the link to the broadcast:
    http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/25...#ixzz2xDy1d29i

Thanks, CaroleK. I am always curious as to what happens to HSCT patients, during and post transplant. And, more to my point, Why don't we hear from more HSCT patients, on this site ? Just curious !

Comment

Thank you Carole for posting this.

I didn't know that many US insurers did cover this procedure. I think that Dr. Burt selects his patients carefully with a view to all having successful treatment, 93% success rate is pretty good. That's why he now precludes progressive type of patients from his study. The Tisch Centre clinical trial (which is not a HSCT trial) is including progressive patients so hopefully they will enjoy the same sort of success rate. That is what I am hoping and praying for all those in that clinical trial.

In Canada the HSCT clinical trial that was done in Ottawa was funded by the MS Society. OHIP does not cover this, nor have I ever heard of any Canadian insurers that would fund this treatment.

If the treatment is successful and if you can stop taking expensive medication, then financially the insurers would be further ahead to cover the stem cell treatment. Still a lot of ifs, but lets hope the answers lead us a halt in progression and repair of damage to all types of MS.

Comment

I wondered the same thing, Jerry. I know many people don't like Facebook, but that's where you can get the most information about this treatment (there are two Facebook groups dedicated to HSCT..one specifically for Dr. Burt's facility and one for world wide facilities).

Just FYI, some of the oversea facilities have treated SPMS patients and several of these patients are active posters on the main HSCT page and have indicated that HSCT definitely helped them (George Goss probably being one of the most vocal SPMSrs who successfully underwent the treatment). The main group has over 2,300 members (some who underwent the treatment, many planning on doing it, and some just curious about it). Dr. Burt's group has shot up from under 600 members when I first joined two months ago to 972 as of now. I think as the word gets out, more people are getting curious about HSCT.

Comment

I agree that the word is getting out about HSCT. Seems to hold a lot of promise to me. Spoke to my MS Neuro about it and we are both in agreement that HSCT may be the future treatment for MS patients in the US.

Its disappointing to me that MS patients in the US have to look overseas for HSCT facilities to treat MS patients.

Comment

Agreed, SA Ken. I'm hoping with the media coverage, more MSrs will get more vocal. Dr. Burt's trial is Phase III but that means FDA approval is probably many years down the line still. I'm hoping more insurance companies get wise to the cost benefits of covering HSCT. Some already are.

Comment

Working...
            X