Wahls protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjeich View Post
    Dr. Wahl has never said this protocol was a cure. She makes it very clear she is not cured. For her, it has slowed the progression and made her more mobile. The protocol is in clinical trials (proof will be in the outcome, I suppose), and it has worked for her patients, which don't have MS, which is why there are three levels of diet. You determine based on what you are trying to do/heal.
    It took decades for many of us to get to where we are, so none of us should expect overnight improvements.

I've been interested in Wahls Protocol for awhile. In the past, I'd skimmed the book, but was more intent on following my functional medicine doctor's protocol. They are similar in many ways.

Now, however, I'm reading The Wahls Protocol more thoroughly. I hope to go through it one chapter per week and decide if there is a new goal I want to set. I've already eliminated gluten and dairy.

This next week, my goal will be counting my vegetables and focusing on eating enough (nine: 3 greens, 3 colorful, 3 cruciferous) each day. I'm not aiming for perfection - but I do want to achieve 9 per day at least 5 days a week and make sure I have a variety, even if it's not 3/3/3.

Wahls Protocol is not about food only. I include exercise, stress management and reduction of toxins too.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      Wahls Protocol is not about food only. I include exercise, stress management and reduction of toxins too.
      Mamabug

Don't know if it is included in Terry Wahl's book, but she also used Functional/Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation in her rehab.

Hope you continue to share what you learn from the protocol.

Thank you!
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Mamabug

Don't know if it is included in Terry Wahl's book, but she also used Functional/Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation in her rehab.

Hope you continue to share what you learn from the protocol.

Thank you!
        Yes; I did a search, and she does. I'll have to find out more about it and what it is.

She also uses FIR (Far infrared) -- an infrared sauna. I recently acquired one at greatly reduced cost -- my MIL paid big dollars for it and hardly ever used it. I started using that a couple of days ago.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I consider the silence concerning long-term results to be significant. I would be pleased to be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
            I consider the silence concerning long-term results to be significant. I would be pleased to be incorrect.
            The silence? About long term success of Wahls protocol? Well ..., it hasn't been used long term. Did it start in 2011?

But Terry Wahls has written more than one book, she has a Ted talk, there's an email list and a blog you can subscribe to, I've seen her post a list of of peer- reviewed research, etc. Is that what you're looking for?
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1138 View Post
              Hi Brad ~

I did some googling, and found that one small clinical trial found that the Wahls diet reduced fatigue, and therefore helped quality of life.

One small study found that people with MS who switched to a Paleo/Wahls-style diet for a year were much less tired. But those people also exercised and did stretches, meditated, and got massage therapy and electrical stimulation therapy. So it's hard to say for sure that the diet helped their symptoms.

https://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/wahl-diet-ms

A larger clinical trial was also done, and the results are expected this year, 2020.

The interesting thing to me is that the primary outcome measure in the large trial is to see if the diet does reduce fatigue.

The National MS Society has just committed over $1 million to support a clinical trial led by Dr. Terry Wahls to compare the ability of two popular diets to treat multiple sclerosis-related fatigue.

Nothing was mentioned about stopping progression, relapses, demyelination, etc.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...of-Iowa-Launch

So I understand what you're saying.

Maybe the results of the larger trial will have more positive results than just reduced fatigue (although less fatigue is a good thing).

Take Care
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks, KoKo-

I have been following the Wahl's diet for quite some time now, but cheat a bit from time to time. I used electric stim therapy while I was going to PT, but no massage therapy. I can say that my fatigue level has indeed improved over all this time. Exercise has helped in that way too.

I also adhere to most all of the functional medicine protocol as outlined by Mamabug, but my MS has progressed. I am OK with that, but the progression is happening nonetheless. I'm just pointing out that these protocols may or may not help some people in that regard and not get false hopes up if adhering doesn't show the results you had envisioned.

But, by all means, still do all that can be done to create a healthy lifestyle!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  I have been following the Wahl's diet for quite some time now, but cheat a bit from time to time. I used electric stim therapy while I was going to PT, but no massage therapy. I can say that my fatigue level has indeed improved over all this time. Exercise has helped in that way too.
                  I have been following a combo of the Mediterranean/Mind Diet for a few years now. I feel good eating this way, and haven't had the exhausted, worn out type of MS fatigue for quite awhile.

I do get motor fatigue in my arms and legs from repetitive use, but I'm pretty sure that no diet (unless it remyelinates), will fix that.

My digestive system and regularity are doing great (knock on wood). Never get headaches, indigestion, excessive gas, or achy joints. My skin, hair, and nails are good. Energy level good (if only my arms and legs would cooperate with it).

I'm sure that you can see why I'm hesitant to change the way I'm eating, at this time - unless of course there were proven, dramatic benefits.

Comment

I'm sorry you haven't seen more results. I'd been declining steadily prior to starting functional medicine about eighteen months ago. Since then, I've not seen any additional decline.

I've also seen some small changes -- probably most noticeably in fatigue. I still take my daily nap each day, but I sleep about an hour less each night. My balance is slightly improved (for example, I can often walk down a small curb without the help of my cane), I can spend slightly longer standing vs seated during my silver sneakers exercise class, etc.

I try not to cheat, at all, on GF / DF, no GMO's, no MSG, very little refined sugar. I give myself grace on healthy meats, organic produce, etc when I am not at home. I've increased my vegetable consumption but I don't eat nine every day. I eat fish more frequently. I eat considerably less meat than she advocates though.

I've increased my exercise, decreased my exposure to toxins, manage my stress and my hormones, etc and made a few other changes advocated by Terry Wahls.

I hope to find additional strategies that I'm willing to become compliant with. My stability is well worth it.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I follow the wahl's diet to some extent. I was really gung hole about it several years ago. Never seen a big improvement so I have slipped a little bit. Still try to eat gluten free and dairy free,but must admit i'm not 100%.

I do exercise every morning for a couple hours, ride a stationary bike for about 15 min each day and use electrical stim on my ham strings for a half hour every day. I have tried to incorporate doing my quads but it's been a hit and miss. Maybe when it warms up a little bit.

My nero has said she thinks my left legs is a little stronger, we'll see what she says when I see her again in April.

Comment

Originally posted by 90stangg View Post
                        I follow the wahl's diet to some extent. I was really gung hole about it several years ago. Never seen a big improvement so I have slipped a little bit. Still try to eat gluten free and dairy free,but must admit i'm not 100%.

I do exercise every morning for a couple hours, ride a stationary bike for about 15 min each day and use electrical stim on my ham strings for a half hour every day. I have tried to incorporate doing my quads but it's been a hit and miss. Maybe when it warms up a little bit.

My nero has said she thinks my left legs is a little stronger, we'll see what she says when I see her again in April.
                        Good for you. I've been stable, with minor improvements. I haven't seen big improvements either, and, although I wish I did, I'm OK with that. I attribute the success I've had (and I consider stability to be success) to sticking with it. I don't cheat on gluten free, dairy free. And, I make healthy choices in the rest of my diet and other lifestyle choices. Stability, if it continues, will make a big difference in the quality of life in the years to come.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Quote from The Wahls Protocol

I posted this quote from The Wahls Protocol somewhere before, but it has always struck me as a prime reason to eat in a healthy way to try to repair the deficiencies in my cells.

When chronic disease is the result of a deficiency, drugs aren’t going to solve the problem. As I’m sure you realize, multiple sclerosis is not a deficiency of the latest multiple-sclerosis-disease-modifying drug like Copaxone, just as fatigue is not a deficiency of wakefulness-promoting drugs like Provigil or even caffeine, and depression is not a deficiency of antidepressants like Prozac.

No, these problems are not deficiencies of drugs, but they are triggered by deficiencies in your cells that lead to broken biochemistry and impaired signaling between your cells.

When you look at chronic disease in this way, it’s obvious that you should treat the cellular deficiencies that cause diseases to develop in the first place instead of just treating the symptoms, which is what most conventional pharmaceutical treatments do.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                          X