Not quite sure where to ask this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite sure where to ask this...

I have pretty chronic constipation. I know I don't have wonderful eating or exercise habits, but I think it has a lot to do with the MS since I also have a really difficult time beginning urination.

Because of said issues, I'm extra worried about a "mishap". I'm just wondering if anybody knows if I should be doing more preparation than an enema (which I do use normally because of the constipation to begin with, but generally don't feel totally "empty")? Or if anybody has advice to even just clean out the bowels fully period?

I do not know about your diet habits, but I can tell you that you need plenty of water intake to help. Also, the more fiber the better.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Including Flax seed and generous helpings of veggies into your "cleansling' routine should help, but couldn't hurt either, both for MS and I would imagine, help you avoid the dreaded 'mishap'.

In any event, it sounds like your partner is aware of your MS and problems with constipation. Assuming s/he is a reasonably intelligent individual, no one's going to die if a mishap occures. Although you might wish you had died, lol.

I don't want to minimize your feelings about the situation, (coming from the most shallow, vain woman ever), but again assuming you're an adult in a consentual relationship with another adult who is aware of your MS and related difficulties, take a deep breath, calm down, and discuss your insecurities with the one you love.

Try to maintain a great sex life with the one you love, experiment with exciting new things, keep what works and forget the rest.

Comment

I just posted the below in another thread which might help. Other than enemas and more fibre and water, I can't think of anything else except maybe digital stimulation in addition to the above?

Good luck!

--------

Chia seed pudding but you need to make sure the seeds are fully hydrated and that you continue to drink lots of water.

I just mix a few spoons of chia, hemp and raw buckwheat in a container, lots of soy milk and raisins with a tiny bit of maple syrup or agave and cover and stick in the fridge. You need a lot more liquid to seeds. I don't remember the ratio but I normally check and add more.

The longer you let it soak the more it absorbs. I have an evening system now, but the first day I made it at lunch time and stuck in the fridge for the evening. I usually mix a few days worth eat about 1/3 cup three or four hours before I go to bed. In the mornings, everything moves just fine!

Google for more info -- chia seed pudding constipation

Comment

MSW1963, great words and gave me a chuckle too!

pinkie, I know you are self conscious, but remember back to your pre-MS days, the other party is well aware of potential mishaps. They've already done the risk analysis!

Comment

Pinkie.....

You could try myralax.....follow directions. I even started it with half the recommended dose. They have off brand ones but i have not tried them yet.

Regarding your bladder and voiding being hard for you. Maybe time for a consult with a urologist (Sp?). Not like you want another Dr. apt......just a thought.
            Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

Miralax

I started putting half a capful of miralax in my coffee every morning (it doesn't alter taste) and since doing that, I very rarely am constipated. Also you may be dehydrated - drinking more water and limiting caffeine helps too.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the advice My partner is aware of the MS and the issues, but, like MSW1963, I am seriously vain and would definitely want to die, lol.

Maybe to start I'll try to add Miralax to my daily routine regardless. I've just added about 2 different vitamins every time I've gone to a doctor since diagnosis. And vitamins are expensive!

Comment

Don't forget to "Move to keep things moving"

all of these are things that I have tried, and they work. But the main thing is you have to exercise, exercise, exercise. As I said, "you have got to move to keep things moving" It sounds like a cliche but it is really true...
                  Also a smoothie with bananas, pineapple, berries, kale is especially good for you,yogurt with flax seeds, is one thing that is a must for me every morning...the type of fruit is your choice, but the yogurt and flax seeds are a must - and the kale provides a healthy dose of good vegetables.

Comment

I came back to copy my chia seed post and saw that the original post was edited. Seriously? How was this any more "R rated" than any of the sexual dysfunction threads?

IMHO, it was a completely valid and inoffensive post.

Comment

bowel help

I too have constipation issues. I have done enemas, magnesium citrate,milk of magnesis, which are fast but cramping. I took my magnesium one night and didnt go. Went to get food the next day at a drive thru , and pooped my pants. It was devistating then but really funny when i think about it. No more drinking that. I am eating activia yogurt now and i am going alot better now. It took a few days to start working. Hope this helps.

Comment

A just bearable hot towel placed on the are between your Vagina and Anus works a treat. Try it and see

Comment

I have the exact same problems. Docs told me to take Miralax and try timed voiding. When you feel you need to empty your bladder, keagle instead for as long as you can hold it. Try only emptying your bladder twice in the afternoon; ie, 1:00 and 3:00 or whatever is best for you. I have been doing it and it works! Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X