Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assorted itching, tingling, etc.

Hello to all,
    I've been away from the Forum for quite awhile, but would appreciate some input on this subject. My MS dx was nearly 40 years ago and my first incidence of unexplained itching began about 20 years ago.

It started deep inside one breast and eventually it started in the other breast (embarrassing when you're at work and have an almost uncontrollable urge to scratch your breasts). I had a thorough breast check-up, which ruled out cancer (or any other known problem)--and continue to have regular mammos, etc. The itching continues, at fluctuating levels, to this day.

Then, approx. 15 years ago, I began noticing a very slight tickling sensation in one ear (like a gnat was flying around deep inside the ear). The tickling gradually progressed to tingling; then over a period of months, the same thing started in the other ear. Gradually it became severe enough to almost be a painful pressure and sometimes feels like one or both ears are numb. In the past year or so, the tingling seems to be expanding to the outside of the ears, where I want to scratch them.

My neuro linked this to the vagus nerve. Both the itching in the breasts and in the ears comes for days/weeks at a time, then disappears for awhile, always to return. Also, in the last several months, I sometimes notice a tingly sensation in several spots on my scalp (like a bug crawling in my hair). Now, in the last couple weeks, I've developed an itching sensation in one eye that seems to have no other symptoms such as redness or pain--and I'm starting to wonder if this is yet another related issue. Any thoughts?

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Gosh, that all sounds so awful. I'm so sorry you have to deal with it. I would assume it is all related.
    With love, jade.
    Schizoaffective Disorder 2001, RRMS 2005, Copaxone 6 yrs, Tecfidera 6 mths, Copaxone again.
    "God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God."
    - Romans 8:28

Comment

That IS maddening! And part of the frustration of this disease is not being sure if symptoms are due to MS or something completely new health concern. Good luck in dealing with what you're going through!
      MS Diva
      (Well-behaved women rarely make history. Just a heads-up for ya...)

Comment

This sounds like a lot of what I have been going through the past week. As for the itching breast! Thank you for saying something. I thought I was just weird and haven't said a word to anyone, when I'm at school I go to the nearest restroom, get in the stall and scratch a way!!! It is fierce sometimes. Sorry you have to go through all this but it comforts me to know I'm not crazy or the only one. I constantly have to tell myself that I am not alone in this and there is most positively many others who understand how I feel

Comment

Originally posted by Jrasted79 View Post
          This sounds like a lot of what I have been going through the past week. As for the itching breast! Thank you for saying something. I thought I was just weird and haven't said a word to anyone, when I'm at school I go to the nearest restroom, get in the stall and scratch a way!!! It is fierce sometimes. Sorry you have to go through all this but it comforts me to know I'm not crazy or the only one. I constantly have to tell myself that I am not alone in this and there is most positively many others who understand how I feel
          I commented in a different thread about that specific itching. As someone said it is MADDENING!!!!!!

I started using my Gabapentin for this and it does help.

Have you been prescribed this drug for your itching?
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Is nice to know I am not alone! I thought I had a rash on the back of my neck cause it always itches.Told my Dr when I went to see her yesterday..she told me...nope!..it's neurological...my husband keeps yelling at me to stop before I draw blood...
            Lounging in Limbo Land since 2003

Comment

I've yet to be DX with MS, but the itchy breasts and scalp have been happening to me for years! I totally thought it was just me going through this. Drives me crazy, and my friends just giggle. I randomly grab my breast and scratch without realizing I'm doing it.

Comment

[QUOTE=fishead;1450876]I commented in a different thread about that specific itching. As someone said it is MADDENING!!!!!!

Have you been rxed generic Tegratol (Carbamazepine) which does not seem to help. Maybe I should inquire about Gabapentin (hard to know what I have and haven't tried with M.S. at this point!). All I have stuck with is my A/D, and I have even vacationed from that on occasion!
                Tawanda

Comment

My mystery itch

I've posted about this before. I developed an itch on my right foot. It began near the big toe and of course I thought it might be athletes foot or something. I went to a few docs and my neuro. My feet look fine, but the itch persists. It used to be day and night and it migrated around my foot. The intensity is hard to describe; it's miserable and rarely goes away.

I now mostly have it at night which means I rarely sleep through the nigh. No amount of itching helps. I've used heat/cold and many ointments, gels, crèmes, etc. I tried gabapentine, but that is not a drug that I can tolerate.

The only thing that helps me is amitriptyline which I take in low dosage (10 mgs X 1,2, or 3 as needed). This is a benign medication as long as you don't take it with other drugs, particularly antidepressant drugs. I also only take at night. It doesn't make the itch go away, but it helps me to sleep.

Good luck, you 'itchers' out there have my sympathy.

Diane
                  You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Gabapentin turned me into Sleeping Beauty!

Originally posted by fishead View Post
                    I commented in a different thread about that specific itching. As someone said it is MADDENING!!!!!!

Have you been prescribed this drug for your itching?
                    The doc rxed Gabapentin and it seems to help. I had an attack of the "itchies" so bad last night that they woke me up. I took a pill and didn't wake up until 11:00 and I am still groggy. Apparently that is how they keep you from itching. You just pass out! Still, that itch was insane and it was gone when I finally woke up. Lost half a day of my life, but I think it was worth it.
                    Tawanda

Comment

Itching for 4 yrs now

At the moment my itch is not there. For years literally, I had an itch on my right foot. It drove me nuts; was worse at night and lasted on and off most of the day. I tried more creams, lotions, medications of every kind. NOTHING made it go away. Then it went, then it returned, and so goes the pattern. Drugs like Gabapentin didn't work, but I could not tolerate them anyway. I always have fatigue; doesn't let up. So drugs that make you sleepier are dangerous for me. The best sleep solution (when itching keeps me away) is amitryptilene, 10 mg to 30mg. I'll sleep a bit with that.

What made my itch let up? Who knows. MS is truly a mystery.

Diane
                      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Update on 2014 post

Hello all,
                        Oh my goodness, I've been away from this forum for quite awhile and didn't see the replies to my post! What a relief to hear that others have experienced the same thing! My itching began slowly in one breast, eventually went to the other. Not long after that I began to have a very slight tingling in one ear that eventually went to the other ear. The tingling in the ears progressed to intermittent severe itching, then fullness (like numbness) that hurts because of the pressure. Then I started having intermittent tingling on the sides of my face and on the top of my scalp. Although I've mentioned all of these things to my neurologist of 16 years (and all of my other doctors) on a semi-regular basis, it's never specifically been labeled with my MS or anything else.

However, with all of this, I never felt that it affected my hearing. But recently, about three months ago, I suddenly lost a lot of hearing in my right ear. In my mind, I wondered if it was related to the assorted sensations I've had in my ears now for probably 20 years. I already had a neurology appt., so I mentioned it to him. He was concerned and sent me immediately to a ENT. I saw the ENT two months ago. I had had a hearing test six months earlier which showed only minor impairment in the right ear, but this test showed a significant hearing loss. The ENT couldn't see any fluid in the ear, but he said it was probably behind my ear, and would probably go away on its own. This week I have a much-awaited follow-up appt., since my hearing has not improved and now I have something like tinnitus and a pulsing sensation in the ear.

Has anyone had similar symptoms that led to hearing loss? Has it been attributed to MS?

Comment

Working...
                        X