No announcement yet.

Severe itching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you --- will try it tomorrow ! Have tried so many things --- will report back !

Comment

I wish I had an answer. I've had severe itching for many years. Always thought it was allergy related. Now the question of MS is raised.

The only things that help are lots of water on my skin, keeping my environment clean, triaminolone cream and hydroxizine.

I consider it the worst sx because, when something itches, I have to stop everything to scratch.

My neighbors put Kitty litter around the apartments where I live and that stuff causes the worst itching.

Comment

I get this after my Ty infusions and it is maddening! You just itch all over and can't stop it. Baths do sometimes work, but you have to get out. I find that Benadryl brings temporary relief, but I take way more than the recommended dose. It seems like nothing but time really helps. Steroids work but good luck getting them to prescribe them for sensory issues, you usually have to have some weakness for that.

All I know is that it is one of the most irritating things about this disease that I can think of. I mean you truely want to just tear your skin off.

If you find something that works please let us all know.

Thanks
        Lisa
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Scars from MS

I have scars on my arms from the itching. When I was first diagnosed, I had a doctor tell me that ms doesn't make you itch. Went on to dermatologist to be told that the ms was causing the itching. Went back to the neuro to be told again that there was nothing he could do. He then prescribed a hydrocortizone cream and told me to cut my fingernails (which were very short already). 2 days later I called his office back to say it wasn't working and asking for his nurse/him to call me. Did that for over a week with NO call back. I became sleep deprived, in misery, and angry. When I could stand it no longer I called his office 1 last time. Before I got off the phone I told the secretary that the neuro had 15 minutes before I left the house to call me. My plans were to go to the office and take all my frustrations out on everyone in my way. (I may have told the secretary this little piece of information.)

I don't know what I would do, his nurse looked like an Amazon and could have probably squashed me like a bug, but he actually called me back with a prescription for gabapentin. I picked up the meds, called the neuro and fired him. My mom freaked because I had had a hard time finding a neuro that would accept new patients. I did find a new one out of my area. I also found that when I was having a particularly itchy day that taking an ice pack and rubbing the itchy area with it usually helped the medicine relieve my skin.
          All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

For scalp itching try Scalpicin ?(spelled at least close). It is sold in CVS usually right beside dandruff shampoos.

For palms itching I have no idea, but wish I did . I will try the cold therapy next time it happens.

Just trivia - when I was growing up people said that if one palm was itching you could expect to receive some money, if the other one was itching then you could look for an unexpected expense. When my palms started itching like crazy several years ago I asked my mom which hand meant money, but she told me that she had forgotten . I guess since both of mine itch any funds I was to receive were taken before I saw them .

Comment

Working...
            X