Double vision and spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double vision and spots

I have a question if anybody could help me answer it please.

Over the summer I started getting double vision and it lasted about 2 weeks but at the same time I also saw spots (like little dots in the air).

I am fine now except for I still see spots especially when going outside. I am embarrassed to admit but of my 8 lesions I am not sure if I have one on my optic nerve but from memory I don't think I do.

So, could my vision be non related to the ms? Does anybody else see spots? Does there have to be a lesion on optic nerve to cause eye problems?

Thank you in advance as this site has been so helpful for me when I am in doubt.
    Tira

I see spots

I have had issues with my eyes and I don't have any lesions on my optic nerve.

I had a bout with double vision in the past. Have not had that in a long while. I do however see spots all the time. Especially when i look at the sky or snow. Almost like fireworks. These have been going on for a while now.

I don't know why or how but they're there.

I do have lesions on the back of my brain and some one told me those places have to do with vision, but he is not a dr, just studied the brain and its functions.

Good Luck

Billy
    Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

Have you been to an Opthalmalogist? I had severe double vision during my first relapse that has since resolved. I was still having bouts of blurry vision and sometimes spots that I thought was a lingering symptom of my attack but turns out my eyes are very dry and don't lubricate properly causing my eye issues not MS.

Been using restesis and a lubricating eye gel that has helped a lot.

I have 11 lesions in my brain but no idea where they are or what symptoms they should cause. And the Opthalmalogist didn't see any damage with my optic nerve. If you haven't been to the Opthalmalogist it might be worth a trip.

Comment

Thank you. I will try to see if I can find one or get one recommended. See both my Neuro and PC in the next two weeks!
        Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

If you haven't seen an Opthalmalogist (not the same thing as an Optomitrist) in a while, talk to your primary care Dr. and try to set up a referal/appt.

With MS, we can get used to saying "Its just the MS again" but sometimes it isn't.

I'm not sure if its better or not to tell them ahead of time that you've already been DX'd with MS, but if you have a recent MRI image set on a CD, bring that along so the Dr. can take a look at it (after they rule out actual eye issues).

Or, tell the Dr. upfront you've already been DX'd but you're not sure if this is something new.

Comment

Yes. Yes. Yes!

I realize this is a very old thread, but I want to put in a reply in case anybody else comes along now or in the future with the same combination. I have the same spots, like little targets or bulls eyes. They're mostly in the same eye as the double vision, and both have worsened over the last two years while that optic nerve has also thinned.

My docs are telling me this is a very unusual symptom, and we've not yet gotten to the bottom of it, but it's looking like the spots might be a retinal issue.

Several questions to ponder:

Are the spots always there?
            Do they stay in the same place in reference to one another, or do they move around?
            Can you look directly at them?
            Are they in one or both eyes? (cover one eye, if you see them in both eyes while the other is covered, they're in both)

The spots I had were in both eyes originally. They doubled in number every month over the course of 6 months until I had a flare and was treated with IV steroids. Their numbers started dwindling and finally, a month or two after finishing the oral steroid taper, they had completely disappeared. It was miraculous. Then a year later, I started developing them again during a flare up that lasted several months, along with worsening double vision and blurring. The new MS doc didn't see any lesions on MRI, so wouldn't treat it as a flare. They continued to worsen until I went on Tecfidera, which hammered my immune system really hard initially. That ended that flare. I still have those spots, the double vision worsened during that episode, and now the optic nerve has lost thickness along with those two problems.

I have never, never heard of anyone else seeing this spots. I can't tell you how excited I am to find someone else who does.

Comment

Working...
            X