Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have ON and not know it? (sound induced phosphenes ques)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you have ON and not know it? (sound induced phosphenes ques)

I am in limbo land. I have always had lots of flashes and floaters throughout my life. I had some new ones in my right eye and went to the opthamologist who was looking for retinal issues (tears, etc.) I told him that I was being evaluated for MS and asked if he saw any indication of ON. He said that my optic nerve looked great.

The one thing that I have for months is sound-induced phosphenes. It happens when I am falling asleep and my kids cough or make noise, and I am startled. I see bright phosphenes in both eyes with my eyes shut in the dark

Otherwise, my vision is perfect. Just these flashes when I blink and the phosphenes. No eye pain that I can recal other than an occasional headache?

So, can you have ON and not know it?

Hello Snickers78,

went to the opthamologist who was looking for retinal issues (tears, etc.) I told him that I was being evaluated for MS and asked if he saw any indication of ON. He said that my optic nerve looked great.
    Per your Ophthalmologist: your Optic nerve looks great which would indicate no Optic Neuritis.

Optic Neuritis causes inflammation of the Optic nerve, something an Ophthalmologist can see during his exam.

So, can you have ON and not know it?
    I am not aware of having ON and not knowing it. Between the pain and the effects on vision it's pretty hard to miss.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Most of the time when you have a bout of ON, you know it. There may be a time or two when people have a mild case that they do not notice, but it leaves behind damage to the optic nerve. This either shows up a swelling in the optic nerve that can be seen in the front of the eye, only in the back of the eye (MRI) (retrobulbar ON), but both of these cause the baseline vision to not go back to or not be corrected to 20/20.

The flashes of light may be normal, or a problem with the Retina. It is good that you went to an ophthalmologist to get checked out. If you feel like you need further testing, ask about going to a neuro-ophthalmologist, or getting a VEP.

Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

The first time I had ON...I was completely unaware. I was having my annual Eye Exam, and an Optometrist found it. Sent me to the ER, was confirmed, Neuro put me on Oral Steroids.

2nd Round of ON felt like someone took a hot poker and shoved it in my eye. Pain was a 10 on the pain scale. No loss of vision. Another ER Visit...IV Steroids.

3rd Round of ON...loss of vision, but no pain. It was like I had Vaseline spread over my eyeballs...and my first episode of bilateral ON. IV Steroids. Vision restored.

ON can affect everyone different.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You can absolutely ave ON without knowing it. I've only ever noticed in one eye until recently, yet both show extensive damage and have for years. I have had at least one, probably more, bouts of ON in my left eye without it ever being bad enough to trigger symptoms. Heck, even when I noticed ON in my right eye more than once I never had a bit of pain.

I'm not sure how common that is, however. But yes, it is possible.

Comment

Working...
          X