Pain relief with Aubagio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain relief with Aubagio

I just started taking Aubagio and since every OTC pain reliever is off limits what am I supposed to do? Just bite a stick and suffer through a relentless cold with body aches? Seriously though, any advice is appreciated.

I only took it two days before I had to stop with a allergic reaction but they did not tell me I could not have OTC pain relievers? Good luck!!

Comment

I do not remember hearing or reading OTC pain relievers are off limits. I've been on Aubagio for 14 months and have taken them as needed with no issues.

Where did you hear this?

Comment

My doctor has said Ibuprofen is fine. In fact I was told to take 600mg as needed for my hand pain.

Comment

I looked at the drug interactions and everything with acetaminophen is classified as "a major interaction" so I just assumed it was off limits. Same with ibuprofen.

Comment

I re-looked at the Aubagio Genzyme website prescribing guide and the medication guide and do not see this - I also read thoroughly thru it back before starting to see what the limitations were before starting.

Are you seeing this somewhere else?

Comment

When I was getting my prescription filled the pharmacist at caremark got on the phone and wanted to know everything I was taking to make sure it didn't have an adverse reaction with Aubagio. I forgot to ask about ibuprofen, which lead me to drugs.com

Since they test your liver for the first six months - I guess I sort of assumed it was pretty hard on your liver - it's hard to know the do's and don'ts that really matter. I'm new to Aubagio, always been on Copaxone.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Comment

Aubagio

arudolph, I have been on this med. a yr. had not seen 'no OTC' pain relief meds to be taken w/aubagio.
                As long as your Doc knows all 'pills', all agents(?) you are allergic to, Doc knows what condition ur body is in, and you have investigated the item u wish/need to take. Go for it.
                I take Advil when needed and took Tylenol a few times when I had the 'bug'.
                Also was instructed to take Ampyra in the beginning, found the info sheet to be quite intimidating. Waited since could not get ?s answered thru nurse at office (repeated sheet), but I needed patient info & not Medical Dictionary terms. Finally reached a pharmacy individual at the specialty phy. co. who took the time and translated supplier's info. So then I began ampyra.
                You must question and find the path for your self in many cases.

Comment

arudolph,
                  good exchange of info here, we are all here to help and support each other best we can. Hope your Aubagio experience goes well (same to all others.)

Comment

'Fraid not. Aubagio sucked completely and utterly. I have never felt so awful, and I've had a brain haemorrhage.

All right, slight exaggeration, not that bad, but I'm SPMS, and I'm out. No more daily/weekly/ monthly stuff.

I will have a go at Lemstrada in June. Maybe. My hopes are not however high. I think this thing is burning itself out. Not going to get better, probably not going to get much worse.

All these years, 17 of them, on various drugs may have helped, or may not. Aubagio was the straw and the camel's. broken back. It's one thing to be "differently abled", quite another to also take something that makes you feel like death warmed up.

Comment

glad I read your postings

I still haven't started on the Aubagio yet but all the aubagio related people/nurses/agents say the side effects are near none. So glad I read this because I know what might happen and not think something ELSE was going on with me whenever I do get to start. I'm kinda disillusioned with the Aubagio one to one people. Besides not being able to get hold of anyone on the phone - now the staff/nurses/people I am getting through to are completely clueless and keep me on the phone FOREVER only to tell me they know nothing.

Comment

The side effects are nowhere near "near none'". It might be all right if you're early on in your "MS journey", to use two words that make me barf (used separately, but even more so together.) Aubagio was an utterly awful experience for me.
                        Proper genuine pain, headaches, bowel shall we say "problems", nausea, dizziness, fatigue etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Aubagion - 1 Year Anniversary!

After 4 long years of going from one doctor to another, I was finally diagnosed in January 2000. I have been on Aubagio for 1 year as of May 16th. My doctor prescribed it for me after Copaxone became too uncomfortable for me to use. When I first started Copaxone, it wasn't too bad; but as time passed, the shots started leaving lumps that wouldn't go away for weeks at a time; often left bruises, occasionally would bleed and, more often than not, were becoming quite painful. I have experienced no bad reactions with Aubagio and have been thrilled with the opportunity to have an oral drug instead of injections. I don't know if using Aubagio has reduced my leg muscle spasms; but I almost never have spasms now. Our son has taken Gilenya for 2 years and he has been very pleased with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X