What's up with the leg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with the leg?

I have a weird issue I didn't have time to talk to the neuro about last time. When I'm tired, usually late in the day, and especially if I recline or lay down, I get a weird sensation in my right leg. I have an urge to flex my quads and as soon as I do, it tightens up and my whole leg stiffens and shakes for a few seconds, and then it relaxes. It's odd because it feels voluntary and involuntary at the same time (if that makes any sense). I can hold it off when I get the "urge," but not forever. It feels kind of like a yawn. I haven't had this wake me up, but it's definitely an annoyance. A BIG annoyance.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It sounds kind of like restless leg, but I'm not familiar enough with that to know if that could be it.

THanks!
    Dx'd on 10-17-11
    Avonex since 10/28/11 - Tysabri since 1-26-12 - 18 doses, then Betaseron since 9/4/13
    Don’t be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you’ve been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what? – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Book 7

I get the exact same thing from time to time in my right leg (weak side). I totally know what you mean about voluntary and in voluntary at the same time.

I was told that it was spasticity related and to stretch, especially my calves. The best way to do that is to stand on the first step of your stairs and drop your heels off a little and hold for as long as you can -- preferably several minutes. Great easy stretch.

Comment

me too

I get it all the time , it's the worst in the evening when you relax. Mine used to only last about an hour now it comes and goes all night . Yes it does wake me up! I know what you are feeling...

Comment

same here. spasticity is bad - legs scissor at night. but, the excess tone helps me stand up right.but not for long. then I crumple, knees bang together. sucks. just finished several attempts with doc who injected Botox, then when that didn't work tried Phenol, shot into muscle/nerve groups. no luck. I stretch, too, to bo avail.

Comment

Hi jerseydave,

spasticity is bad - legs scissor at night
          Sorry to hear that you haven't found anything that has helped you yet. Something that may be worth having discussion about with your doctor is a Baclofen pump. It is something that is surgically implanted and works by delivering the liquid form of baclofen directly to your spinal fluid. This route of delivery is much more effective than taking the medication orally, with fewer side effects. It can be programmed to deliver more baclofen to your body at night, when you don't need as much tone to stand up. It has proven to be a much more effective therapy for me. Here is a link where you can learn more about it: http://www.medtronic.com/patients/se...icity/therapy/

All the best,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

thanks. I've heard an assortment of stories - good and bad - about pumps. I'm not sold on it.

Comment

I've had the same problem with both of my legs. I went ahead and got the pump last March, and after some adjustment it pretty much took care of the spasms. I also have had some ms hug issues the pump has helped with.(catheter put up into c4 area of spine)

I don't know what the issues are you have about the pump, I haven't had any issues so far. i'm glad I got it.

Comment

Working...
              X