My Amantadine experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Amantadine experience...

I was on it for about three months and it worked great! I still had fatigue but it wasn't debilitating. Then a few weeks ago I started getting VERY weak and unbalanced. I thought I was progressing again. One week I was able to walk 200 metres with my rollator without too much difficulty and then a week later, I made it only 25 metres and just couldn't go on -- I was that weak! I also got edema in both feet, not pretty. Oh and my urinary retention got worse"

I read on a few Parkinsons forums that circulatory problems and edema can happen with Amantadine over a period of time, so I stopped taking it about two weeks ago and finally feel like I am coming back up to physical baseline (as crappy as it was, it was way better than the last few weeks).

The edema is subsiding. Only a small bit of swelling left. A few weeks ago they looked like bloated corpse fee and the stretched skin caused bruising! Urinary retention is also a lot better! Anyway, I am getting a full blood workup again soon and going to try Provigil / Modafinal.

Anyone else get horrible symptoms on this?

Misslux, So sorry to hear about this reaction. I didn't realize Amantadine had this side effect.

Amantadine had absolutely no effect on me (good/bad or other) and after giving it about a 6 month try, I went back to Provigil, which has worked beautifully.

Hope you continue to get relief and feel better soon.

Debbie

Comment

Thank you Debbie!

I was pretty shocked too until I started reading similar experiences on a few Parkinsons forums.

I am hoping I get good results from Provigil.

Comment

For MS fatigue, two common supplements, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and Acetyl L Carnitine (ALCAR) were shown in clinical trial to be more effective than Amantadine.

ALA is now in clinical trial as a treatment for Secondary Progressive MS.

Also helpful is Malic Acid combined with Magnesium and was shown in clinical trial to be effective in reducing fatigue in Fibromyalgia patients.

If you want to give them a try, take 300mg ALA, 500mg ALCAR, 600mg Malic Acid and 400mg Magnesium at breakfast at lunch, but not dinner as they may make it hard to go to sleep.

I've been taking them all for years and am never tired.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
          X