TYPING HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYPING HELP

Sorry for going off topic but has anyone found a solution for the typing? I used to be a fast typer but now it is hard after a bad flareup. I still know where all the keys are. It's just as though I can't get my fingers to go to them.

I moved your post here because it were receive more attention. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It is a talk to text software ( or a voice recognition software). I no longer type at all due to tremors. I hope this information helps you.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

something else that I did not think of, I'm not sure who makes it but you can get a hard plastic cover that fits over your keyboard and it has little holes in it over the letters so that you can only type those letters. You can also go into your settings are just type into your search and find the assistive devices built into your computer. You can set the sticky keys for your abilities.
      You may also be able to use your on-screen keyboard and type with your mouse.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Thanks for trying to help...Appreciate it.......what is this keyboard cover you are talking about? Sorry, I don't understand.

How do I access the assistive devices in Windows?

Thanks!

Comment

if you have Windows 8 when you first power on your computer there is a little icon in the lower left-hand portion of your screen with a handicap symbol on it. If you click on that, it will prompt you with different options to make it easier to use your computer. If you have Windows XP or Vista, go to your start menu and type in what you are looking for(assistive devices) in the search option.

As far as the plastic cover that fits over your keyboard, I had someone from Temple University tell me about it, I have never used one. But you should be able to find one at your local office supply stores. And the keyboard cover is nothing but a plastic protective like looking device that fits right over your keyboardand it has holes in it over all your keys and you can only push one key at a time. It is designed to help prevent pushing any surrounding keys. It helps to align your fingers so they cleanly strike only the key you are striving to push. The plastic is thick enough to prevent errant keystrokes, but it is thin enough that it is not cumbersome.if you have a laptop, I do not know if a cover like this is available.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Have you considered switching to a tablet? You have to look at the keys but I find it less effortful than a regular keyboard.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Which tablet do you use?

Comment

Dragon

In my opinion, the best option as stated above would be Dragon Naturally Speaking. The cost is about $100. I've used it for years and it works great.

Comment

Heather, I still use a regular PC for work but use a full size iPad for everything else. Even though my right hand is ny dominant hand, I have right sided hemiparesis and spasticity so I type on my iPad with my left hand.

Oh, you can get Dragon for iPad too.

Comment

Originally posted by thelegendlc View Post
                    In my opinion, the best option as stated above would be Dragon Naturally Speaking. The cost is about $100. I've used it for years and it works great.
                    I also use Dragon, and have done so for a few years too, and I second that.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! I have very significant right hand damage too..................

My mother has been fighting Rheumatoid Arthritis for awhile so she ordered me Dragon from QVC..........it was a pretty nice sale that day. It is just a struggle to learn after typing for years. I am trying and working on it.

Tomorrow I have job training for a company that hires disabled people to work from home. I was shocked when she told me flat out their company is unable to work with Dragon............Why I was trying to find other options too

Thanks! Everyone is so nice!

Comment

If you want a keyboard with larger keys, not just larger letters, I use a "Chester Creek" keyboard at work because I had a hard time hitting the right keys on a regular keyboard.

Comment

Typing

I bought Dragon a year ago but found my computer too slow/old so I must wait. So I hunt and peck since I have pretty significant tremor in right arm/hand. There must be something else available in this tech-savvy world. I love to write but have found it too tiresome. Any ideas welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                            something else that I did not think of, I'm not sure who makes it but you can get a hard plastic cover that fits over your keyboard and it has little holes in it over the letters so that you can only type those letters. You can also go into your settings are just type into your search and find the assistive devices built into your computer. You can set the sticky keys for your abilities.
                            You may also be able to use your on-screen keyboard and type with your mouse.

Have you looked into any of these options? And as mentioned above, you may want to get a keyboard that has bigger letters.
                            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                            volunteer
                            MS World
                            hunterd@msworld.org
                            PPMS DX 2001

Comment

The larger letters are no help. It is larger keys that makes a difference when your fingers aim is not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X