How to get a seat on the bus/train with invisible MS fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Niece

My sister has PPMS, struggles most of the time. Four years ago I took her and my niece, 8 years old, to Washington DC to see the sights. We parked and took the rail into the city.

We arrived to a full car, all seats taken. My sister just grabbed a pole and I stood behind her to help with balance. My niece took in the situation, looked around the car and shouted, "My Mommy has MS! She needs to sit DOWN!"

All but 5 or 6 elderly people stood to offer their place.

Sometimes kids are smarter than grown ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaitar View Post
      My sister has PPMS, struggles most of the time. Four years ago I took her and my niece, 8 years old, to Washington DC to see the sights. We parked and took the rail into the city.

We arrived to a full car, all seats taken. My sister just grabbed a pole and I stood behind her to help with balance. My niece took in the situation, looked around the car and shouted, "My Mommy has MS! She needs to sit DOWN!"

All but 5 or 6 elderly people stood to offer their place.

Sometimes kids are smarter than grown ups.
      This story just made my day better! Thank-you for sharing it.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

"balance disorder"

I've not had to use this yet, but since I look like I'm in great shape, I have thought about what I could say that would not make me burst into tears when I do need to sit. I came up with, "Excuse me, but I have a balance disorder and really need to sit down." It's not untrue, but nobody's going to dispute it, either.

Only once has anyone said anything to me - an older woman asked if I could stand up ... for her mother. I apologized and said I had a balance disorder, so I couldn't. On really bad days, I imagine myself having the guts to suggest someone ask an able-bodied person. I've also thought about using that phrase to ask for a seat: "Excuse me, but is there someone able-bodied who could let me sit down?" There's a tiny bit of shaming the actually fit people that goes on with that, but when I really need a seat, I can get pretty indignant.

Comment

I'm late to this thread, and I've never thought about it. (I take my car to work.)

I think I would ask if someone would let me sit in the handi seats. But I would definitely preface it with, "If anyone in a handi seat is not handicapped, would it be ok if I use the seat. I have MS, and it's very hard to stand on a moving vehicle." Maybe someone in a regular seat will offer.

Just putting myself in the already seated person's place. We wouldn't appear handicapped to anyone else.

Comment

I've often thought of putting my placard on a string around my neck...
            Seattle, WA
            Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
            Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

Yup. What misslux says. I use a cane only very occasionally, if I am in an MS flare that affects my mobility. But, I have found it useful to not feel weird to request airport assistance. I don't need the assistance for the mobility, but, the stress of flying by myself and finding gates makes the assistance worth getting over my feelings about carrying a cane.

My cane is also collapsible and I can keep it in my purse when not using it. My cane's name is Ingrid. She is strong; she is female. And, she is there when I need her.

~ Faith

Originally posted by misslux View Post
              I know you probably don't want to bring one (trust me, I've been there), but have a (collapsible) cane with you at all times if you have debilitating fatigue. That way you can whip it out when needed and also get a seat without question.

Your safety is extremely important so please use an assistive device to prevent yourself from toppling over.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
              X