Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Pilots with MS

Hello to the aviators out there!

Anybody know which of the DMD's you can be on and get your medical approved? I know from experience that Tysabri is approved, and that Gilenya is not currently (or wasn't as of December 2013). My husband was on Tysabri when he got his special issuance medical. His doctor wanted to take him off Tysabri, and did so. He went on Gilenya and after the long, drawn out process of testing and letters, and waiting and more letters, they told him it isn't approved. Now he's faced with a decision of going back on Tysabri (he's JC positive) or jumping through the hoops of trying to see if any others are approved. We suspect Copaxone to be approved, but I'm really curious if either of the other oral meds are approved.

Anybody receive SI first class medical while on Tecfidera or Aubagio?

I'm not a pilot, but thought you'd find this interesting. I take choline as a supplement.

The effectiveness of choline citrate infusions monitored by lymphocyte transformation test (LTT) in multiple sclerosis. A new approach to the diagnosis and treatment of the disease.

Abstract

The efficacy of intravenous choline citrate infusions was investigated in 34 patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) by clinical evaluation and by monitoring of lymphocyte proliferation in vitro against fragments of myelin basic protein (MOG-35-55, MBP15-31, PLP 39-15) over a period of 12 weeks. Patients have been diagnosed with MS at least one year before entering the study and suffered from mild relapsing/remitting course to long-term chronic progressive disease. Twenty one patients exhibited positive lymphocyte proliferation to myelin fragments prior to treatment and were therefore selected for further studies. Choline citrate was administered with a dosage of 1200mg/ 2x week for a period of 3 months. This treatment resulted in a significant decrease of lymphocyte proliferation to neural fragments (MOG- 35-55, MBP15-31) in lymphocyte transformation test (LTT). There was no significant SI change of PLP Peptide (PLP 39-15) LTT found after treatment with choline citrate. During the 3 mo observation period, patients remained stable and no side-effects of the treatment were observed. In addition, some patients reported long-lasting improvement (less paresthesia and increase of muscle strength in lower extremities) which was demonstrated up to 3 years later. In one spectacular case a commercial pilot was able to return to duty again after treatment. This pilot was allowed back in to his position as a commercial flying cockpit member and is on duty for more than 4 yrs now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19855355

Comment

Working...
    X