Low urine output starting Day 6 after stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low urine output starting Day 6 after stopping

I have never experienced low urine output in my life. I always awaken with a very full bladder, but Saturday I did not despite the great quantity of water (~24 ounces) I consumed before bedtime because I was uncharacteristically very thirsty, which is the only other queer symptom I have had in the last three day. And it just that one bout of extreme thirst late Friday/early Saturday.

I contacted my PCP's nurse via voice mail and she did not call me back, so I then e-mailed my PCP late in the day and did receive a reply. Maybe it was just a very busy Monday, but I also worried I was not specific enough, so just pulled a single-serve yogurt container from the recycling and peed into it. Despite my last memory of going was like 6 hours ago, I estimate there was only 2-3 tablespoons in there.

Has anyone else experience an abrupt change in bladder habits on, or just after stopping, Aubagio? Did it get better on its own? How did you get someone to take notice?

Update--give it two more days. . . .

and if not better, my PCP will fax in a lab slip for testing. She anticipates this will improve and suddenly I will go--a lot.

I seem to be doing a little better today--at least I am able to nearly fill that yogurt container, and the color changed from almost brown to dark yellow.

Comment

Hope this continues to improve. Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Good luck!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Back to normal or nearly so

Thank you, Kimba, for your kind wishes....

I swear the next abrupt change in something so vital as urination, and I will go to the ER for an answer. All the voice mail and private messages and the e-mails took eight days to get an order for what I feel was warranted, renal function tests. Now I will never know what was wrong because I feel my renal function is back to normal based on resumption of my normal urination patterns.

Early this morning I received an e-mail stating lab orders were waiting for me. The only thing I have received for an evaluation, a week ago, I think, was a urinalysis and culture if necessary. Well, did not need the culture, meaning this abrupt change is not of infectious origin. The urinalysis was completely normal.

This is my Day 11 in my saga, and I have will cautiously say, this is my first day of feeling completely normal in this area. I drink and eliminate it quickly, which the kidney function I am used to. During the transitions over these days, it was not a straight line to resolution. The greatest time it seemed like my kidneys were working but were slowed, so stopping liquids at my normal cutoff time, resulted in my getting up to pee 1-2 times a night, and yes, I was full. Prior to this, I slept right through and had a very full bladder when I awoke. This is the my first morning I both slept through and awoke with a full bladder.

While my neurologist was definite on that Aubagio was not the cause, I have no other explanation. While I would love to believe doctors are completely impartial on such matters, I do not trust Big Pharma being honest about study findings. I have never had a kidney problem, and the only kidney disease is in my mother, who lost one due to her chronic UTI issue. The timeline of using Aubagio, experiencing a sudden change in urination, on the heels of suffering severe muscle tightness, which also was not a smooth transition back to normal either after stopping. And its very long half-life of 2 weeks, and the urinary problem occurring less than a week after stopping, having no washout med because I was only took 4 pills, the urinary issue occurring 24-36 hours after my episode of muscle tightness, returning several days after stopping the Aubagio, well, I do not see what other rational answer there is.

All I know after this nightmare experience, I will really, really heed the advice of getting my ALT test before restarting Avonex, in 2 weeks.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear you had all those issues....I just started Aubagio today and will be curious to see if I also have the same repeat symptoms you did. I usually seem to get side affects from almost any medicine. I tried Rebif Dec/Jan but they had to take me off due to side affects. Good luck to you on your next treatment.

Comment

Hi Lucid Clue,

I am glad things seem to be back to normal. And I'm glad your renal function is normal! I suspect it was your MS, not the Aubagio. It could be your bladder wasn't working efficiently, not your kidneys. Bladder dysfunction is common in MS. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

If it happens again, get to the ER to see if your bladder needs to be drained. Retention causes UTIs, something you've learned isn't a good thing from what happened to your mom.

I hope your tightness (sounds like spasticity http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx) has gotten better, now, too. Could be you were experiencing a small flare. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

Thanks for your update!

Take care ,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Well, I made it two days on Aubagio....yes, two pills! Had the "rare" allergic reaction with blisters in mouth and rash on back and face and had to go to ER! Now doing the "wash out" for 11 days with prednisone and benedryl to prevent reaction from coming back. Crazy only taking two pills that I have to do wash out to get rid of it. Please DO NOT let me scare you or sway you.....understand that I am extremely sensitive to most medications; not just MS meds. I just said I would update you and that is what I am doing. I did not notice any difference at all in urine output. I did have blurred vision more than normal but other than that, no side affects till big one came!

Comment

Working...
              X