Oxytrol patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxytrol patch?

Anything anyone can tell me about the patch?
    Thanx!

Hi guntersmith,
    I've been using the oxytrol patch for about two months, and have gotten very good results with it. It took about two weeks before it started working but was worth the wait for me. Do you have any specific questions?
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

I use Oxytrol patches and I love them! They took about ten days for me to notice them working, but they sure do work like a charm.
      Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
      Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
      Gilenya since 11/2014.
      Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
      EDSS 3.

Comment

Are they covered under your

health insurance plan? Are there less side effects than taking the pills?

Comment

The patches that we're referring to are over the counter, so I'd think insurance doesn't cover them...not mine, at any rate. But there is a prescription version, so maybe that might be covered.

My understanding of the benefit that transdermal medication delivery offers is that they aren't processed by the liver and kidneys, which is a concern for some drugs. Don't know if that's a factor with this one or not. If anyone knows more than I do about it, please feel free to correct and/or expand on what I've said.

Hope this is helpful, its2.
          PPMS
          Dx 07/13

Comment

side effects of patch

Do you have dry mouth? I found that with the pill my mouth was so dry I couldn't swallow.

Comment

oxytrol

Thanx to all for your responses. I was wondering if I could get more relief than just taking baclofen, which DOES give me intensely dry mouth. I plan to try the patch.

Comment

I haven't noticed a problem with dry mouth, but is definitely a reported side-effect. I really hope it works for you!
                PPMS
                Dx 07/13

Comment

Update

I'm sorry to report that I've developed a skin reaction to the patches, and had to stop using them. They seemed fine for the first 4-6 weeks, but then my skin under the patch would get an angry, red, itchy, burning rash.

This of course doesn't mean that they still can't be a good solution for others here, but I thought I should disclose this in the interest of honesty. Also fair to consider is that I have fairly sensitive skin.
                  PPMS
                  Dx 07/13

Comment

Rash

I have extremely sensitive skin and am concerned about the possibility of a skin rash. Also does the patch interfere with injections? Isn't it applied to your abdomen, hips and thighs when injections are given?

Comment

Patch and/or meds

Does anyone know if you need to stop taking detrol or ditropan, etc., BEFORE trying the patch? I've been on one or the other for years with very limited success, but if I stop the drug and try the patch, I'm likely to have quite a few accidents until the patch starts to work. I haven't checked any of this out with my doctor yet, but I'd love to take away one of my oral medications.

Comment

Urinary incontininence

I have been on the Oxytrol patch, which worked well for me for quite some time. Then the urologist that I am seeing now put me on Vesicare. I do like the way it works for me, I think better than the patch. And I know someone else who feels it works good for her. But my favorite has been "botox for the bladder". It makes me feel normal...well, as far as my bladder is concerned! I only use the vesicare when the botox wears off and it is time for more botox!

Comment

Working...
                        X