Phentermine anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phentermine anyone?

I've tried all the usual fatigue meds over the past 8 years. Dt. Mt. Dew seems to help the most, along with phentermine. They like you to take a break so I haven't had it for a couple of years. It helps me not to keep gaining weight as an added benefit.

I find it works better for me than provigil, nuvigil, ritalin, amantadine. Anyone else use phentermine for fatigue?
    Brenda
    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

I also took Phentermine years ago and loved it. It worked great for me, no fatigue and lost 20lbs the first 2 weeks.
    I was just talking to my doc about putting me back on it because this Nuvigil is not working. The Nuvigil worked for the first week and then nothing. I wanted to give it another month just to be sure but its so weird its like it worked great and then on day 7 it was like I took nothing and has been that way since.

I'm also on Topamax so he said I could just take Qsymia which is Phentermine and Topamax together. He's leaving it up to me when I see him next month. I'll probably just go with whatever is cheaper through my insurance which is probably getting the 2 meds seperately as I'm sure the new drug Qsymia is either not covered or very expensive.
    Diagnosed MS 11/2012
    2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
    1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
    .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Is it just wrong that I want to know about this med for the awful fatigue, but now even more interested about losing 20 lbs?
      I haven't heard of this med, but I will be asking my doc and researching to right now, so thank you!
      I too have tried amantadine, pro and nuvigil with no luck.
      I'll post back when I learn more about the Phen.
      Blessings!
      There is always a rainbow!

Comment

I am also interested in hearing the replies to this, I've done amantadine and provigil. I have not tried anything else as of yet, but I am seriously contemplating it. I have an appointment with my neurologist on Wednesday, and I plan to bring this up. I will let you know what she says.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The weight loss aspect of using Phentermine is because it is a prescription diet pill and has been used as such for many, many years.

Phentermine is one half of the infamous diet combo, PhenFen. The other half of this combo was pulled from the market.

As far as treating fatigue with this medication? I could see how it would help. One of the many side effects of Phentermine is an increase of energy and insomnia.

The question is, are there very many Drs. who would be willing to prescribe Phentermine to treat fatigue? This medication is not recommended or prescribed for long term but is used short term.

Information about Phentermine:
          http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a682187.html
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks, Snoopy for bringing this up. I'm always interesting in anything for fatigue, but when I saw Phentermine, I was shocked. I'm surprised any Neurologist would prescribe.

Be clear, I'm not judging - I'm just surprised.

So here's my dirty little secret for combating fatigue - No Doz.

I've tried Amantadine (didn't work) and have been on Provigil for years (works, but not as effective originally), I find a No Doz in the a.m. and one in the pm (in addition to PRovigil) at least gets me through the work day.

Comment

I am taking phentermine right now and have lost 60 pounds since July. Only 15 to go.

I was miserably overweight for me and couldn't move around or do my job well. My neuro sent me to my GP for it with her blessings. .5 mg tabs. The GP told me most people increase dosage but I haven't had to.

I like the drug. I can sleep on it and have had no adverse side effects.

Obviously I have increased energy and on the odd day I have forgotten to take it I definitely drag.

If I can continue to take it for the energy I will be all for it.

J
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Originally posted by justacowgirl View Post
                I am taking phentermine right now and have lost 60 pounds since July. Only 15 to go.
                Congratulations on your weight loss! I wish you all the best in keeping it off, that's the hard part

DebbieB:
                Be clear, I'm not judging - I'm just surprised.
                I too, was surprised.

I used Phentermine many, many, many years ago for weight loss. Although I have read about some using Phentermine for fatigue those who do are few.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I wanted to make clear that its not my neuro that offered the phentermine so I'm not sure how a neuro would respond but if you've tried a bunch of other stuff I don't see why not!
                  My neuro gave me a script for Provigil but then I realized Nuvigil was cheaper so I asked my other doc what he thought and said he would switch the script for me since I see him more often and he's closer.
                  Now that the Nuvigil isn't working he said I can try the phentermine if I wanted too so when I see him in a few weeks I'll switch to the phentermine.

It is a weight loss drug. My particular doctor has used it in patients for fatigue at a lower dose than what I previously took to lose weight. So I don't know how keen other doctors would be on that idea.

When I took it years ago I lost about 50lbs total, I was taking it for weight loss but the energy was awesome. I started with 15mg capsules once in the morning and eventually went to 37.5mg tablets because I could break those in half and control my dose a little better. But it is speed so if you're sensitive to stimulants then its probably not for you.

Anyone interested should visit their website where they have the full prescribing info and all that stuff.
                  Diagnosed MS 11/2012
                  2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
                  1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
                  .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Hunterd,
                    Just wondering if you asked your neuro about this drug and what she said?
                    I haven't had a chance yet to see my doctor ask ask as well. This fatigue is awful- seriously feels like I'm drugged but I'm not. Sometimes my body sleeps for 20 hours and couldn't get up if I tried. It's weird. Of course, I have days where I can do stuff but the recovery is so lengthy. Sometimes I think I'm the only one with debilitating fatigue- what a selfish thought I know
                    God's strength to us all!
                    There is always a rainbow!

Comment

I've taken phentermine numerous times over the years for weight loss and the problem I have with it is it stops working within a couple months. I don't know if you can build a tolerance to it but I've lost faith in phentermine. I currently take 30mg of Adderall 2x a day, and it does the trick for me, for the most part. My boyfriend took one of my adderalls once because he had an 18 hour drive in front of him, and he said it made him feel like he'd just done an 8 ball of coke. I certainly don't feel that - it just gets me moving and helps me focus. My fatigue is getting worse so I am going to ask my neuro if maybe I should try Nuvigil or whatever it's called. Quite sick of being tired.
                      No sir, I don't like it.
                      Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

I take phentermine. I thought I was going to counteract the effect that the gabapentin does (slows the metabolism) works for pain, but oh the weight gain. Well I do have a bit more energy. I don't sleep all day any more. I haven't lost any weight but it's only been 3 weeks. I also have hypothyroidism so slow is my metabolism. what a great life.
                        DIAGNOSED=2012
                        ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                        REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by JBWInColorado View Post
                          the problem I have with it is it stops working within a couple months. I don't know if you can build a tolerance
                          Yes. A tolerance can be built up.

You can also take Phentermine, stop taking it and when you try it again, it doesn't work like it did the first time, if at all.
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I took phentermine for weight loss. I felt amazing on it, however I had to stop because it started giving me severe constipation.

Comment

Well, it really isn't helping much with the weight loss this time around. As far as the fatigue, I am still having to drink the Dew. I tried water for a few days, but was pretty darn tired. I am glad to see others have used this for fatigue.

My neuro did prescribe this med for fatigue.
                              Brenda
                              Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
                              X