Snow and ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow and ON

Not sure if this was touched on before but here it goes ...

Yesterday and today I have had trouble with the brightness of the snow.

When I am able to shovel the snow (on a good day) I stand and take in the beautiful snow falling before me.

I also feed my birds. What a great joy they give me. They get taken care of before my dear hubby, lol.

I find that my good eye (left) has quite amount of stabbing pain behind the eye. The bad eye (right) has no issues with the snow because I see mostly like looking through a screen door. And that I have a deficit in that eye.

I use my sun glasses to cut the glare but still have trouble seeing with my depth perception.

Has anyone else experience this and do you have any other suggestions for the strain in my good eye.

Hate to call the Neuro-Ophthamologist when this is something else I have to live with. Its just I haven't had this much sharp pain in the good eye.

Thank you and God Bless
    STR

The pain is a reason to call the neuro-ophthalmologist. The doc can help you determine if the pain is from inflammation or just a reaction to the glare. The choice can be made whether to take any action if you have active inflammation.

But the glare and depth perception problems are just par for the course with ON. They will either improve on their own or they won't. I've had debilitating glare from my episodes of ON for many, many years. I just have to block the glare and my vision is useful again. But that will be with me for life and might stay with you too.

There's a myth that if 1 eye is impaired, the other eye has "strain" put on it. That isn't really true. The good eye doesn't care what it's looking at and works the same way whether it's working by itself or if the brain adds the picture to one from the other eye. What can feel like "strain" is learning how to rely on 1 eye for information when you are used to getting information from 2 eyes. Part of it is learning how to pay attention to the good eye and the other part is learning how to ignore the blurry input from the bad eye. But you aren't "straining" the good eye.

So make sure you have your sunglasses on in bright environments. You will learn to adapt to the changes in depth perception, although it might take awhile and you'll feel awfully clumsy until that happens. It will just take time.

Comment

Originally posted by Strhuntrss View Post

I use my sun glasses to cut the glare but still have trouble seeing with my depth perception.

Hate to call the Neuro-Ophthamologist when this is something else I have to live with.

Snow vision is difficult. Like you I loose depth perception due to the lack of contrast. The bright light hurts and sun glasses are a must.

If you have the resources I think you should go see the N-O. It is your eyes after all. There is little that effects quality of life as much as vision.

Comment

Working...
      X