Anything other than rx for fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything other than rx for fatigue?

I got a prescription for Provigil to try the last time I went to my MS clinic, but my wonderful insurance company refused to pay for it, so I've never even gotten to try it. I've been on Amantadine in the past and it did absolutely nothing. I'm also a very bitter and angry person who will continue to hate the world before calling to see if there are other options before I go in for my next appt (I hate calling that place anyway, it's too much of a hassle to get anywhere with them). I've also tried ALC/ALA with no success. Is there anything else I can try on my own before I bring it up with my dr in March?

I haven't worked in an entire year and my dad is making me work starting next week. My body requires daily naps in order for me to keep functioning, but starting Monday I'm not exactly going to be able to do that. When I'm not getting any help from my stupid worthless insurance company, I don't know what to do. The only upside to this is, since it's my dad, he knows about the MS, and if it's that hard on me, I can only hope he will try to find another employee so that I'm not needed anymore (one just up and quit on him, leaving him shorthanded).

I know it's not the number of hours I'm sleeping and I had a sleep study a few years ago that showed no issues. I don't even know if there's anything else for me to try without talking to my dr first, but if anyone knows of anything, I'd love to hear about it.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Hello lstrl

Sorry for the added troubles...Will your Dad let you work part time? Sometimes getting in a different enviroment is helpful for me.

An occasional boost for me is a sugar free Rock Star. When I run out of energy and I just can't get my legs to move anymore I have found that extra zing from one of these drinks.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Previously I had many days I just couldn't get out of bed and felt like sleeping for days. This greatly improved with a low dose of thyroxin.

If Dad is understanding maybe you can try part time or 2-3 days a week. I hope you are able to find a solution. Take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Some find Ritalin

helpful for fatigue. The generic version is fairly inexpensive.

Comment

I found acupuncture to be really helpful for me with fatigue. You have to go about 5-6 times at first about every other day, and then you space it out about once a month. I really don't like taking prescriptions if I don't have to. It's worth a shot if you don't have a needle phobia. The needles are so tiny and you barely feel them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamerwithroots View Post
          I found acupuncture to be really helpful for me with fatigue. You have to go about 5-6 times at first about every other day, and then you space it out about once a month. I really don't like taking prescriptions if I don't have to. It's worth a shot if you don't have a needle phobia. The needles are so tiny and you barely feel them anyway.
          I was going to say the same! I have used this for fatigue as well as other symptoms. I didn't go every other day - just weekly for a time and it helped me a lot! I also don't like taking meds and this seemed like a good alternative fit for me.

Roamer is right - the needles are really tiny - sometimes there's a feeling of a small pin prick, and sometimes not. I usually fall asleep during my treatments and that tells you something!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Acupuncture might help with the anger issues as well. Then the fatigue might improve if there isn't so much energy being burned up by the anger and bitterness. Less fatigue and more bliss.

Comment

Maybe instead of working on your fatigue you could work on why you believe you are a bitter and angry person.

I bet if you were happier you would feel more energized.

J
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Working...
              X