Pet Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Chat

So many of us have pets (all types!) to keep us company and help us. I came across this link http://multiplesclerosis.net/living-...n-our-ms-life/ and realized how my beautiful dog enriches my life. With all the changes this past year due to MS, I've been rather isolated. Sweet Daisy keeps my company, makes sure I get out for "our" walk (which provides me with exercise and often human interaction as Daisy is an attention grabber) and keeps me mentally engaged with her care.

Any other pet lovers out there?

So true, I've always had pets but they do play a new role now that MS hit. My dog is my "medicine", even though he doesn't know it!! Thanks for sharing.
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have two cats and they always cheer me up whenever I'm having a bad day. I actually gave one up about a year ago right after I was diagnosed because he kept getting urinary infections and I'd just lost my job and couldn't afford to keep taking him to the vet for treatment. I actually thought it would be less stressful not having to figure out what to do about him, but not a day went by that I didn't get upset that he was gone. The day his picture showed up as being available for adoption, I totally freaked out and had to take him back before anyone else had a chance to adopt him. We've been inseparable since.

I guess I can see why everyone says not to make any big decisions shortly after being diagnosed. I don't know what I would do without that kitty. He is the sweetest little guy, and I can't help but smile any time he's around. My other one is super sweet too, but she is more independent and this little guy would attach himself to me if he could.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13
      Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

the necessary walks are beneficial and I find cuddling with the pup or kitty to be better than the antidepressants
        1995-symptoms with no cause
        2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
        2000/1-started Avonex
        2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
        Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
          The day his picture showed up as being available for adoption, I totally freaked out and had to take him back before anyone else had a chance to adopt him. We've been inseparable since.
          That is one of THE SWEETEST stories I've heard in a long time! Bless your heart!
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

How did I

... miss this? I love my animals! We currently have two house dogs (his and hers lap dogs) one yard cat and a mostly moved in neighbors cat, three yard dogs, and a flock of chickens. I also take care of the worms - my FIL quit fishing this past year and gave everything to hubby. The boat, his reels and tackle, and even his worm beds. Since I am the animal lover I inherited them . I feed the wild birds and the squirrels also. I wanted to get some honey bees this spring but the money just is not presenting itself right now

I totally agree - the animals force me to get up and outside, as well as providing entertainment. They will listen to my problems and love me til I feel better.
            In the past I had various other animals here, but couldn't take care of them and the kids and the house and work too!

I wonder - does anyone here have a companion dog? I think that I may have too many dogs to get one, but would sure be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with them.

Comment

We are cat people.

We currently have 2 cats that live at our shop. Cooper is a Flame Point Siamese, a great mouser, and is a rescue. He 's a blue eyed snot and we all love him dearly. Then there is Trixie, a black and grey tabbie; also a rescue. She is very skittish but she loves to be brushed which is the only time she lets anyone touch her. We are working with her to be more social. Such a sweet girl.

Then at home are 3 more. Oxford is beautiful ebony black, also a rescue. Bitsy, an orange tabby who is brother to Trixie. Those are my dd cats.

And Rossco, who is my baby. He is 18 lbs of pure unadultered kitty cat love. Such a sweet gentle giant, he is 11yrs old and I've had him since he was just a few weeks old.

I had posted a few weeks ago when I was having such a tough day ... we recently lost our Ashley girlie, she was a 12yr old grey calico. We miss her so much.
              Karen

Comment

pets

I was a cat person until someone left a couple of puppies at my home and they bonded with me and one of my kittens.

I recommend to try fostering kittens. I voluteered (when I had a spare bedroom) with a rescue group and had the kittens anywhere from 3-6 weeks before they were placed in forever homes. Some Animal Shelters welcome 'foster' homes especially for kittens. It was fun and rewarding, nothing cuter that puppies and kittens

I now have 2 cats (13 and 14 yrs old) and one dog (13 yrs old)
                Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

PET LOVER

I loved reading this thread!

I have always had a dog growing up. I have 2 dogs(Ranger and Cinder).. Both adopted from same shelter. Ranger is a Plott hound and Cinder is a lab.

We also have 3 indoor cats and one barn cat. They are my "natural heating blankets " for my hands and leg pains. I call them my paper weights....they are always there to snuggle with. Bootsy is 7, Lokie and Honey are 3 this coming fall. Loki has a neurological isses do to his mom having distemper. His head bobsss and he walks very stiff leged. We adopted him because i could relate with neurological issues. He is a sweet boy and loves to snuggle with his sister Honey. She is honey in color. She is my first female cat. Boy.....see is so active . She loves to fetch her toys. Ya....she thinks she is a lab. It is really cute.

My Ranger has been weaning off prednizone for a few months know. He had his second bout of IMHA. We are lucky to still have him here. He is the first breathing being to come running to me when i cry and always kisses my tiers.....makes me cry harder....it is so very sweet.

Mittens is out side cat who was a stray. He was badly injured so i finally gained his trust enough to get him in a carrier and take him to the vet. Well that was 2 years ago......he is out in barn because he has feline hiv and my inside cats don't. He has a heated bed and clamed the whole barn his. He doesn't like dogs so i have to make sure he is put in his area before dogs are out. He is a good mouser and is out only with me or dh so we can keep an eye on him. No killing birds. He often is tied up on the dog tie outs or in his run area.
                  Mittens walks on a leash and in summer has a run to be in outside that is safe for him and he can't bother birds.

My animasl are our "spoiled furry kids".
                  Sending hugs your way.

Take Care.....

Comment

These stories are so great! I know that there are many of us who get that unconditional love from our pets. They are the best therapy out there!

We have 4 cats. Sammy, 10 who is a Maine Coon mix, more like having a dog/child around. Very smart, has no idea he's a cat.

Minnie Moo,8, who is a beautiful muted calico, we adopted on her 1st birthday. She is the queen, nobody messes with "The Moo" !!!

Tag,6, is our wild child orange and white tabby. We adopted him from the same shelter as Minnie. He's the smallest of the group, but is fearless. Our little Stealth Fighter!

and then there is Piper. A beautiful blue tabby purebred Maine Coon cat. We love this breed and my husband surprised me with him. He's our supermodel, tall, slender and gorgeous! Is also a bit of a clown and loves to watch TV!

They are all our babies. Could not live without them!

Comment

Working...
                    X