Burning Thigh is Torture!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Thigh is Torture!

Hi, I haven't gotten a dx yet and don't go see a neurologist until Feb 20th. My GP has me on baclofen which is helping with my muscles but I am having terrible trouble with burning sensations. They most recently started right on my bum cheeks, lasted for about 24 hrs and now have started in my thighs. The right one feels okay again but the left one is awful painful and has been for about 4 days now. Anyone have any idea of anything that might help that I can do at home? I have a pretty high tolerance for pain but this is really getting me down. I also wondered if anyone knows where a lesion might be with these type of symptoms? The radiologist report said "no enhancing mass lesions" on my brain MRI w/wo contrast. I have not had a spine MRI done.
    ~Saja~

Hi Saja! When symptoms get as bad as yours, there are no "home remedies". The most commonly used medication for paresthesias, including burning sensations, is gabapentin. Maybe your GP would be willing to prescribe it for you.

Since this is still early in the process for you, it's a good time for you to NOT get into the habit of wondering where a lesion is that's causing a particular symptoms. Nerve paths can be very long and it might not be possible to know where along the pathway a lesion is. Plus, because of how complex nerve interactions are in the brain, there often isn't a 1 to 1 correlation between a symptom and location of lesions. Knowing exactly where your lesions are really serves no purpose in managing symptoms or living with MS. I've seen some people work themselves into anxiety over where their lesions are, so it's a good idea to not to get into the habit.

Comment

There is no "do at home" relief for burning sensations. Sorry
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
        Hi Saja! When symptoms get as bad as yours, there are no "home remedies". The most commonly used medication for paresthesias, including burning sensations, is gabapentin. Maybe your GP would be willing to prescribe it for you.

Since this is still early in the process for you, it's a good time for you to NOT get into the habit of wondering where a lesion is that's causing a particular symptoms. Nerve paths can be very long and it might not be possible to know where along the pathway a lesion is. Plus, because of how complex nerve interactions are in the brain, there often isn't a 1 to 1 correlation between a symptom and location of lesions. Knowing exactly where your lesions are really serves no purpose in managing symptoms or living with MS. I've seen some people work themselves into anxiety over where their lesions are, so it's a good idea to not to get into the habit.
        Thank you for the information and the wise words. I supposed then it really doesn't matter where the lesions may be, I guess the symptom is the real issue. Thank you again, very much and I will ask about the medication that you mentioned.
        ~Saja~

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          There is no "do at home" relief for burning sensations. Sorry
          Thank you for replying to me. Hope you have a nice evening.
          ~Saja~

Comment

Originally posted by Saja View Post
            Anyone have any idea of anything that might help that I can do at home?
            Hi Saja,

Sometimes, a different sensation (i.e. cold therapy) will offer some temporary relief. It might be worth a try until you are able to obtain effective relief from a medication. Here's a link to the National MS Society about burning pain for you: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ain/index.aspx

Best wishes,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
              Hi Saja,

Sometimes, a different sensation (i.e. cold therapy) will offer some temporary relief. It might be worth a try until you are able to obtain effective relief from a medication. Here's a link to the National MS Society about burning pain for you: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ain/index.aspx

Best wishes,
              Kimba, thank you so much! The thigh is all better now but I will absolutely try this next time. Thank you again
              ~Saja~

Comment

I am on Lyrica

I am on Lyrica and absolutely love it. It works so good for me, I missed one dose and I suffered all nite until I realized what I forgot. I have none of the side effects of it either. No weight gain, hunger, sleepy, NOTHING.
                Sue

I have MS, MS doesn't have me.

Comment

I´ve had the saddle buzz last for a period of time- here´s hoping it goes away. I try to imagine it like the Northern Lights- it may come, but it will go as well.

What did you learn at the appt. on the 20th?

Comment

Working...
                  X