Bell's palsy-like facial paralysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell's palsy-like facial paralysis?

I went into the ER with my second bout of "Bell's palsy" in less than two years. I am convinced that it has to do with lesions from MS, since the affected cranial nerve actually originates in the brain. My neurologist thinks it's just a coincidence, yet I haven't had any viral infections, as is common with Bell's.

Anyone else on here had MS related facial paralysis that mimics Bell's?
    Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
    Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
    Gilenya since 11/2014.
    Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
    EDSS 3.

Hi aredmosquito,

The first event I ever had was initially dx'd as Bell's Palsy. The ENT I saw then was the first to mention the remote possibility it could really be MS, not Bell's Palsy. I guess I was only half listening at the time , all I heard was that it could be MS if it happened again (which it hasn't), and I needed to get in to see him ASAP if it did. He also mentioned his wife had Bell's Palsy twice while she was in nursing school, and was fine.

I started having other symptoms shortly after this event, so it was really my first MS attack. I also had intense pain in my neck and across my shoulders when it happened, something no doctor could ever explain at the time, but now I recognize it as spasticity. Although the facial paralysis has never resurfaced, the neck and shoulder pain has many times.

I hope your facial paralysis will resolve completely, soon! Best wishes ,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks! My neurologist put me on the IVSM for 3 days, followed by an oral taper, and a week later, my face is about 80% better. Eyebrow still won't budge, but other than that, almost normal. YAY!
      Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
      Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
      Gilenya since 11/2014.
      Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
      EDSS 3.

Comment

Thanks for the update. That's great news!!! Don't think it'll be long until you can move that eyebrow again.

I can remember the ENT telling me if things didn't start to resolve soon, he'd need to sew my eye shut. (In the meantime, got to look like a pirate and put gel in my eye to keep it moist.) He also explained how he'd transplant a nerve from somewhere else to try to resolve my facial paralysis if it didn't clear up on it's own. (Both reasons why I was probably only half listening when MS was mentioned. ) Took about 6 weeks (with an oral steroid, all I remember about them is that they were big caplets), and haven't had facial paralysis since. So glad to hear you saw results within a week with the IV steroids! Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

Take care,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
        X