If I apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I apply

My situation is this. I am about to get the dx of MS, but currently have the dx of Demyelinating Disease of Central Nervous System, Unspecified with severe migraines. I work and make about $18,000 a year. I have a disabled child that collects SSI and SSA that totals about 469 a month. I also have 3 other children 2 of them minors. My question is IF I apply for SSI will I have to stop working and will it affect my daughters disability?

Thank you in advance.

Yes you are able to work while on SSI, your child that collects SSI depends on your income, so I would contact the social security office about that.

If you mean SSDI then I would also ask about that.

TC and GL

Comment

Yes I am speaking about myself applying (SSDI) and would it affect my daughters. I forgot the D in my initial post...

Comment

Hi Micheleh!

Just to be clear, applying for SSDI doesn't affect anything. Applying for SSDi doesn't mean that you are disabled or that Social Security will determine that you are disabled. Merely having a diagnosis of MS does not by itself mean that you are disabled. Unless and until you are determined to be disabled, nothing should change with your daughter's benefits.

There is limited income allowed by people on SSDI, so it is still possible for you to work while you are receiving SSDI. Social Security representatives are the only ones who can tell you how your daughter's benefits would be affected.

However, there is debate about how much, if any, work you can be doing at the time of your application for SSDI and while your application is being evaluated. If you are currently working at substantial gainful activity, it can be very difficult to convince a disability screener or judge that you are so disabled that you can't work. Working while saying that you can't may undermine your claim of disability.

With issues being so unclear in your situation, it might be a good idea to contact a disability attorney or advocacy group for advice and to submit your application for you.

Comment

Thank You for the information...

Comment

Working...
          X