Losing my Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing my Job

I got the call yesterday, that my boss wanted to talk with me. I am being let go, because my cognitive abilities are causing me issues. Things are starting to fall through the cracks and I am having trouble keeping up with my work. I am devastated and depressed. Can I get unemployment while I apply for disability?

Amy so sorry; I left my last great career but found a new one less mentally demanding....you can do it

J
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Amy: Yes you can get unemployment while waiting for disability, and it is a good idea to do so, otherwise you will not have any income and goodness knows how long it will take to get a hearing. So, yes, go for the unemployment insurance.

So sorry about your situation. Things will get better!

Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I'm so sorry, Amy.

Is is possible for you to find gainful employment that doesn't focus as much on cognitive abilities? There are many considerations when applying for disability, cognitive impairment just one of many areas that need to be diminished.

Here is a link from Disability secrets that talks about collecting unemployment and SSDI http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page10-44.html

You will probably want to talk with a disability lawyer first before you make any major decisions!

Good luck on this. It seems so unfair, but there might still be something else out there for you
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm sorry.

Comment

Amy, I'm so sorry!!!!

Comment

Lisa, you may be a little out of your jurisdiction on this one. I will simply differ to Rich Feingold, the resident SSDI expert.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129915

Comment

And I am going to move this thread to the SSDI forum so that Rich will respond. Good luck, Amy!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you. This is the second job I have lost in 2 years due to cognitive issues. I am looking for a job that doesn't require brain power, too much stress or physical activity. If I could get paid to lay on the couch I would be doing just great

Comment

Potential failure at job

We are in the middle of a major merger and consolidation project with our hospital and a larger multi-facility health system. I am on the I.T. team to adopt our two systems to work together and there have been several times that I have stated to two of my coworkers that I am extremely confused and can't picture what needs to be done, much less what my part is in accomplishing it. I don't think that my direct manager knows of my M.S. but the two coworkers I've expressed concerns to know. I'm expecting to fall flat and be the weak link in the project and cause everything to fail. Hows' that for lack of competency and confidence. I fully expect to lose my job if that occurs.
                    RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                    "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

I was sent home today because I am "out of sorts". I feel so disoriented and almost "high". something is not right in my head. My heart is broken. I have never, not been able to do what I set my mind too. Problem is my mind is not cooperating.

Comment

Amy usually unemployment wants to see people looking for a job so I am not sure how helpful this will be for you.

I would definitely speak to local ms society and disability lawyer.

Comment

Amyrising, I am deeply sorry for you condition getting worse and having so many symptoms, for so long.

Losing your job may end up a blessing. I hope you take the time to relax and rest and not fret of deadlines, etc.

Good luck to you in whatever happens. fed

Comment

Get Neuropysch Testing Done

So sorry to hear about your situation. Just over a year ago, I lost my job due to cognitive issues so I understand. It is a very challenging situation.

For all those who are beginning to note cog changes (and even for those who are not), it is a good idea to get baseline neuropsych testing done. It will tell where you are now. If changes are significant enough, the testing can help determine what can be done to improve your situation, whether meds or something else.

I had neuropsych testing when I was first diagnosed. The testing showed I was above average to superior to most areas of functioning. A year later, I was losing my job due to lack of organization, follow through, memory and time lags. It took me a while to recall how to do things on the computer which is not good when you're in a stat situation in blood bank.

Thank God I had the baseline. SS looked at my past and current test and I was notified I would get SSDI before my short term disability ran out. My STD ran out early August and I received a check from SS the end of August to cover September.

Just MHO.

Good luck to you, Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X