mind stall? or stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mind stall? or stutter

I have noticed over the last 4 to 6 months, on top of the (relatively) normal cog fog. My train of thought periodically stops for a brief period of time. The only way I know how to best describe it is a single tone just suddenly interrupts my train of thought and I hear only the ringing in my ears and all thought just stalls. Now this is a very abstract explanation and symptom, I guess I am wondering if other people have experienced that?
    Of course I could always be a experiencing some sort of fallout so to speak, from my medications. But that never happens to any of us right… LOL
    it makes learning and training my Dragon a very, interesting event.

I have a similar thing. Except, my hearing goes out, I hear nothing but white noise, and I really don't notice it unless I am listening to music and the music...or my brain skips over parts of the song, so I am like what the heck? It also happens without music but it is less easy to check unless someone is talking to me, or I am watching TV. I think mine was related to Zanaflex, but it may have been my MS. It is so hard to tell. I haven't had it in a while so it seems less likely it was the Zanaflex. Weird though. I know what you mean, it is like you are walking along and someone presses the FF button in your life and you have no idea what you missed. Odd feeling.

Hope yours is related to medication. Ask your pharmacist or neurologist about your medications and the odd occurrence.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Yes

Ok, me me me, and yes, me. I so feel you. When I was a kid I was a nervous stutterer. So now that it's happening again, I first thought it was just my inability to...ok see, I can't get that sentenced finished. That's really frustrating. I can't cook dinner any longer, because it requires multi-tasking. I haven't worked in several years, which I thought I'd never not work. I thought I'd work until I died. Just a thing. But there is no job that doesn't require multi tasking.

Comment

Yes,Yes. This happens to me also. I am only taking Fampyra so I am sure it is not the medication. I can be mid sentence and just stop. Nothing!
        On a visit to the gp (which I initiated) I sat down and - blank! Now I write down anything I require. It is hard to deal with and comes and goes, so anticipating and preparedness is often difficult.
        Good luck. Hope you can work out a way to cope with this irritating symptom. But know you are not alone!

Comment

Train of thought wreckage

It seems to me like my train of thought just completely derails and becomes a horrible flaming wreck. I do have a question with this though... Does anyone else seem to mix up words or say something that is worded completely wrong, yet to you it sounded totally right? I have found myself doing this more and more lately.

Comment

My train of thought gets side track quite often.

It's sort of funny when I'm talking to my 78 year old Mother.

Between the two of us, we have3 conversations in one sentence!

Comment

I have said entire sentences backwards!! I usually have a hard time retrieving info, I can often find points of reference but can't find the words i.e. I was talking on the phone with my husband when he was out of town, when he asked what I was doing, I said "I just finished dinner and now I'm having a glass of... I can't think of the name of it. You know, the stuff in the fridge... The wine product?" I was going for sangria I swear it was my first glass but this happens a lot. I don't finish a lot of my sentences, I get frustrated and move on. It has made for some interesting inside jokes BTW, I am a very active professional who is well respected for my tenacity and brains - if they only knew. I suspect it's not the secret I think it is.

Comment

Not as alone as I thought

I am glad to know I'm not the only one that can describe the word I am looking for, but just can't seem to get the word out. It has become a bit of a joke with my family, they know what I mean to say, but still tease me about what actually came out.

Comment

CatEclipse sometimes my situation that is the converse of yours. I'm about to say a word and then I go 'wait, don't say it, that's not a word, it can't be, it sounds too weird!'. I didn't want to say 'grapple' the other day - I wasn't convinced I hadn't created that word somehow! (half-german )

It's good we can laugh/smile at some of this stuff. Grapple is still an odd-sounding word!

Comment

Yes, it's annoying!

I have gone through phases where I completely forget what I am saying, midway through a sentence. While talking to clients. If I'm lucky I can get them to laugh when I say I get this in conduction with migraines and that I'm not drunk. I once had a client that I gave my supervisor's phone number to because they did not look very convinced. My boss does know about all of this, and she is great about it.
                    CIS DX 2013

Comment

Cognitive dysfunction

I also have a daughter with this learning disability. The techniques I learned for her are now the same ones I use now. Some of these are word association, cloud mapping, and just plain memorizing.
                      I worked as an auditor in accounting were remembering a set of numbers was critical. I was able even to
                      run my own business.

Comment

THANK YOU ALL

Originally posted by Mellissac View Post
                        Ok, me me me, and yes, me. I so feel you. When I was a kid I was a nervous stutterer. So now that it's happening again, I first thought it was just my inability to...ok see, I can't get that sentenced finished. That's really frustrating. I can't cook dinner any longer, because it requires multi-tasking. I haven't worked in several years, which I thought I'd never not work. I thought I'd work until I died. Just a thing. But there is no job that doesn't require multi tasking.
                        I most definitely understand what you're saying; my ability to multitask went way far out the window. my train of thought is a mono rail and has difficulty changing tracks (metaphorically) and then my mono rail train of thought. Hits what I consider a sinkhole and the train of thought just simply stops, permanently. Sometimes I can salvage what I was thinking if I am talking to someone else, but that is a rare thing (salvaging the thought I mean.I talk frequently… If you count, Dragon)
                        and I feel you on the work thing. The closest thing I have found for me is to basically do paid surveys (until my vision and coordination totally fails). So every now and then I am awarded 15 or $20, definitely a lifetime goal to be rich…

this particular thread is admittedly very abstract, however I greatly appreciate everyone's responses. It is good to know that I am not totally wacko… (I guess it depends on where you stand; perspective I mean)

Comment

I know this an old thread but I can so relate. I have a lot of problems finding the right word or getting the words out of my mouth. My family often finishes my sentences and my coworkers get a big kick out of it and we have a good laugh.
                          Not finding words don't bother me as much as the stuttering. I have days where I stutter and by that I mean I repeat the samething over and over again. Like a record that get gets stuck in a groove.

Fortunately I have never had any of these problems while working wth a client. Not a good problem to have when you are in sales.

So you are not alone and I suspect there are many more with the same problem that didn't reply. We have to learn to laugh at ourselves sometime.
                          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                          Babe Ruth

Comment

i too have the same issues as you do, and yes its very frustrating to deal with. My family to will finish my sentences and also they interrupt me all the time. Thats the most frustating thing to deal with.

So i chooses my battles at times on when i talk but im not perfect on that either because i still like to talk , i too have alot of issues with finding words, saying words right and so on.

Please excuse me if i sound funny im going through a spell right now, its not really a relapse but a flare up of old symptoms. So i am experiencing alot of issues more then the speech right now.

Anyways im glad to find someone that shares the stuttering issues with me.Not that its ok but im glad im not the only one waydwn south 1. Its very tough my husband will try to help me when i am having trouble with my speech like stuttering and word finding and so on but when om not having issues i really get annoyed with the so called help then it becomes an annoyance and i always get interrupted also.

Hope all is well with you , thank you for posting this now i know im not the only one.

Comment

Working...
                            X