Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Mammograms

Hello,

Last week, I was informed by my new Family Practice doctor that I had a potentially suspicious lump in my left breast. I agreed to an ultrasound, and was quickly informed and relieved to know, that this is a benign cyst. Now, they would like me to have a deeper diagnostic ultrasound and mammogram this week for further study and review of the calcification's?? of the cyst(s).

I am looking for an opinions or comments on how a mammogram affects you and your MS, if any? If this is benign, why would I want to have a breast pancake squish for just in case? Looking online, I am seeing that the radiation in mammograms are much more damaging than chest x-rays. I am not sure if I want to do this.

My yearly MRI is also coming up in the horizon. I see my Neuro this week too, along with a 50 mile one way drive.
    An MRI and Mammogram possibly in one week?? And a dentist visit for another cavity.

Sounds like a fun week. I would like a chocolate covered doughnut!

Thank you for reading,

Stanya
    I have put coffee in my cereal and have dropped my glass cup a few times.

I have been getting mammograms for almost 20 years, and have been diagnosed with MS for 13.

I have noticed no change in anything because of a mammogram. They are not the same mammograms that they were 20 yrs ago by any means. The machines are much more advanced and it takes a shorter amount of time to have it done. I also think that there is less discomfort now. I think my last one was about 10 mins and we were done.

With the history of the cyst, your doctors are probably just being proactive keeping an eye on things.

Good luck with everything!

Comment

I have had MS for 28 years (age 24) and Mammograms, yearly, since the age of 40 (12 years).

Mammograms have no effect on MS.

I also had a cyst surgically removed 13 years ago.

Relax, Stanya it's not a big deal.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I went through the same thing -- a diagnostic mammogram due to a benign cyst. Actually, I think I had two followup ones in a year, after the first diagnostic one.

No effect on my MS. Although stress can affect your MS, so if you can think of any ways to make it less stressful for you, those would be good strategies to use.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have several mammograms without any problems. My experience is they are quick and I haven't had any pain. Good luck.

Heck I'd much rather have a mammogram than a dental cleaning, pap smear, MRI, glaucoma test, etc.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Hello KitOP, SNOOPY, Mamabug, and Jules A,

Thank you so much for responding to my post with your personal experiences, suggestions, and ideas for relaxing and being less stressed out about this!

Mamabug, I guess my idea of a chocolate doughnut is a way for me to feel less stressful.

Jules A - I like all your doctor appointment comparisons. Lets see, a dental cleaning earlier this week, pap smear last week, a possible MRI set up tomorrow, and a fun mammo time on Friday... no glaucoma test for me yet, at least until May, could use a new eye RX though. That left eye comes and goes since I was diagnosed in 2010.

KitOP, I agree on the proactive part. My family practice doctor had my blood tested to check my liver and kidneys too. That had never been done since my diagnosis. I may ask my Neuro tomorrow about that as well, as to the why this was never done.

SNOOPY, Thanks for the "relax" - sometimes I need a friendly reminder to relax a bit, slow down, and to chill out.

MN is in for a huge blizzard tonight and tomorrow, maybe all will be canceled and I can just go down to the gas station and pick up a doughnut instead? and really relax and read a book and watch the snowflakes!

Thank you all, have a wonderful night,

Stanya
            I have put coffee in my cereal and have dropped my glass cup a few times.

Comment

Working...
            X