Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for BigA (or others): Running and MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the numbness in the foot - for me it's the ankle. I wear ankle supports that you slip on and a high cuff which I tighten along the way to help maintain stability.

I'm hoping the exercise in balance that skating provides will help keep the neuroplasticity going. I've been skating since my 20's (I'm 44) so my brain has those pathways cemented.

Happy skating!

Comment

YES! Find what it is you CAN do, and do that!

I have a half marathon in nine days, and I've been able to train regularly for it without any issues, except for a bout of vertigo, which I ran through anyway (for better or worse).

I cannot inline skate to save my life and am jealous of those who can! I'm scared that I won't be able to stop.....

Last week I was trudging up a hill and a guy on the opposite side of the road cycled past - with a prosthetic leg! I was so inspired, and thought, "what's YOUR excuse? Get moving!"

MS has taught me to listen more to what I need. And I'm grateful for that. Let's all stay positive and keep moving as best as we can.

Comment

I cannot inline skate to save my life and am jealous of those who can! I'm scared that I won't be able to stop.....
        I found out that I have the same total fear on not being able to stop. You might try ice skating. Same feeling of freedom, but a flat surface, so you can slow down just by stopping your stroking! And ice is way more forgiving than concrete.

I actually learned to ice skate as a total newbie with balance problems after I got MS. It ain't pretty, but I feel like a superhero.

Comment

Glad to know others run!

Hello! I have had symptoms for 6 years, still undiagnosed, but the last MRI finally shows plaques, so we will see. I have always wondered if others with MS run, but I have had trouble finding them. I started taking outdoor boot camp, and running, after I got "sick" and lost 50 pounds. so far I have run 3 halfs, and want to do a full next year. Kind of scared of how I will feel if I start meds. Thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by residentmaid View Post
            Hello! I have had symptoms for 6 years, still undiagnosed, but the last MRI finally shows plaques, so we will see. I have always wondered if others with MS run, but I have had trouble finding them. I started taking outdoor boot camp, and running, after I got "sick" and lost 50 pounds. so far I have run 3 halfs, and want to do a full next year. Kind of scared of how I will feel if I start meds. Thanks for the encouragement!
            That's so awesome! I'm still working up to a 5K, but that has everything to do with my general level of fitness and not MS. If it's any comfort, my DMD doesn't cause me to feel any differently than my normal self, and my normal self feels fine

Comment

Working...
            X