Anxiety and Anger issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety and Anger issues?

My hubs has been Dx since 05. Just in the past few years I have noticed REALLY BAD anger issues. Sometimes he throws things, screams, literally seethes in anger over things that he would never before. I don't know what to do. I honestly think that he doesn't realize that this is MS related.

We are getting away in a few weeks. Usually this helps him reflect on what is going on at home. I am so sad because I have 5 kids who are watching this behavior. How do I raise kids without anger when this is such a big issue at home?

At least once a month he is so upset we cannot even talk. He always seems mad at someone.

He does have PSTD from an accident that happened at home. It is possible that PSTD can come back 10 years later and haunt you? Is this worse maybe for MS patients? We have been together for 18 years and I love him very much. I don't want to raise angry kids.
    Help.

Sometimes he throws things, screams, literally seethes in anger over things that he would never before.
    I would recommend he see a Mental Health Provider (Psychiatrist and/or Psychotherapist) to be evaluated with the possibility of medication and therapy.

His behavior is unacceptable and he needs to seek help.

I honestly think that he doesn't realize that this is MS related.
    This may or may not be MS related and only a medical or mental health professional would be able to figure that out.

He does have PSTD from an accident that happened at home.
    He was diagnosed with PTSD by a Psychiatrist 10 years ago? Did he have treatment for it?
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

No he was not DX by anyone for PTSD.
      I honestly don't ever see him going to anyone for help or even taking meds for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MSKaiser View Post
        No he was not DX by anyone for PTSD.
        Hi MSKaiser,

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) has a diagnostic Criteria:
        http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/PTSD%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Please read the link I provided. It gives an explanation of PTSD and the criteria for a diagnosis.

I am not sure where the belief came from that he has PTSD

I honestly don't ever see him going to anyone for help or even taking meds for it.
        Then I don't see how anything will change for you, your children or him
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about all of this.

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
          Then I don't see how anything will change for you, your children or him
          I agree with Snoopy. Unless he gets help, then nothing will change for you and your kids. It may even get worse.

Comment

I am so sorry you have to live with this, MSKaiser It must be the most heartbreaking thing to have to live with and be around.

If my husband was displaying this type of behavior, and he wasn't willing to seek help, I would call the doctor (pcp or neuro) and explain what is happening, how long this has been going on, and the implications his behavior is having on family life. The doctor would take note of this and possibly be addressed at the next appt. I don't know....it might be something worthwhile. At least for your own sanity it would give you something proactive to do.

If you can't convince your husband to seek medical attention in the form of counseling, you should find one for yourself! At the very best, a trained professional would give you direction and tools to work with at home and with your husband.

I hope your vacation is a peaceful one and this can give you all some reprieve! I feel for you and hope things turn around for the best. Keep us informed! And stay hopeful
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think you have gotten good advice and remember to think of yourself and your children.

No one, MS or not, has the right to be threatening and violent. If he isn't willing to seek counseling with you, please consider going alone.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X