menstrual bleeding like coffee grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

menstrual bleeding like coffee grounds

Okay, I know that the title is likely to gain some attention and put up some red flags. I just need to know if I'm overreacting. I have been going through perimenopause since my mid-thirties (not too long before I started getting MS symptoms). I'm about to turn 47 next month.

Since being dx'ed with perimenopause, my lifesavers have been "the pill" and Lexapro. I still occasionally get nightsweats, hot flashes, and have one day (at least) each month where I'm an emotional mess. The nice thing has been that my periods have become shorter and much easier.

That being said, I had some unusually bad cramps before my period began this week. They were sudden and sharp, but didn't last too long. I started bleeding yesterday (as is the usual, now). Late this morning, I went to the bathroom and noticed that the blood on my pad was darker than usual. Upon closer look, I was shocked to see what I recognize as the "coffee grounds" mixed in with it.

Should I be concerned? Should I call the doctor? Or is it simply that I waited too long to change my pad (not that this has ever happened when I've done that)? I can't find any information from doing an internet search.

Anybody have any helpful answers?

Proverbs 31 wannabe
    Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

I have no suggestions except, when in doubt, call your gyno!

Comment

Darker blood is usually from "old" bleeding. I tend to get darker or more brown-colored blood between periods and at the end of a menstrual cycle.

Also, a lot of women have clotty bleeds closer to menopause. Not sure if that is what you're describing, but it can be normal.

You say you have had perimenopause for over ten years now, which is a long time, but not out of the question. When does your gyn recommend stopping the pill to see if you have lapsed into menopause? As you probably know, the pill will continue to cause a "false bleed," even if there is no natural cycling. I wonder if that may be affecting things?

Comment

Working...
      X