Aubagio Assessment- no real benefit over Rebif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aubagio Assessment- no real benefit over Rebif

Teriflunomide (trade name: Aubagio) has been approved in Germany since August 2013 for adults with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. In an early benefit assessment pursuant to the Act on the Reform of the Market for Medicinal Products (AMNOG), the German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) examined whether this new drug offers an added benefit over the appropriate comparator therapy specified by the Federal Joint Committee (G-BA).

Reliability of conclusions is limited
    Overall, regarding side effects, IQWiG sees a hint of a positive and a negative effect, in each case with a considerable extent. IQWiG regards the reliability of the conclusions of the study to be limited, so that it sees hints, but no indications. One of the reasons is that the study was unblinded.

Balancing the positive and negative effects regarding side effects, the Institute does not regard an added benefit of teriflunomide in comparison with beta interferon 1a as proven.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0107135940.htm

Oh, great. I was told by my doctor that Aubagio was much better than the old CRABS. Not in Germany it would appear.

I think it's made by the same company that owns/makes Lemstrada, and its rejection by the FDA for MS in the US doesn't fill me with confidence.

Reading the various medication threads, it seems to me like doctors and neuros are chopping and changing because there's so many new drugs to try at the moment.

Tysabri seems to be "best".

Do they really think any of these things is going to stop flares altogether, or halt progress for good?

One flare, and it's a dud, so let's "wash out" and try something else.

This can't be good for a human body.

Comment

Aubagio is an oral medication that is generally well-tolerated.
      I personally consider not having to inject yourself a significant benefit.

It's unfortunate when doctors and/or patients want to dump their medication after a single flare up. There is a "best" medication for each patient, but discovering it does require trial & error. DMTs are simply not designed to provide 100% bullet-proof protection against disease progression. There is documentation of patients that have entered a "disease-activity-free status," especially on newer medications.

It took me 3 years to find a medication that I could tolerate well and in the next few years we'll determine how effective it is for me. One flare certainly won't get me to stop taking it ...

Comment

Working...
      X